Weird peep. what is it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barg, May 13, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    One of my chicks makes a strange peep, unlike the others.
    Its long and drawn out.
    I have a small video mpeg of them, you can hear the odd one several times in it. Is this normal?

I wasnt sure where to post this, so here it is.
    http://home.comcast.net/~22ndavenue/MOV01158.MPG

2. Pekin Sam

Pekin Sam New Egg

May 12, 2007
    I've listened several times and can't make out anything unusual. Maybe the sound quality has deteriorated over the Atlantic! Could you record the weird one by itself - it should get quite vocal if it's separated.
    Fenella, Wolverhampton UK

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    It's at the very begining of the video and then once again almost at the end.
    If I were to try and show you a sound visual it would go like this ----------- --------- ..-.-.-_-.._--_..-_-.. ----------- ------------

The 2 long lines, broken by the small gap, represent the odd peep, the other peeps are rather random, short and broken.

Ive spent a little time editing sound and my little representation makes sence to me, not sure if it helps you [​IMG]

The sound also starts at a higher pitch and goes up slightly, as apposed to most of the peeping i hear that is short and less bending of the sound.

Its one of my black australorps thats makeing the sound.

If you dont hear anything unusual maybe theres nothing unusual there. [​IMG]
    Just seems strange that the one makes that sound and the others dont.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I've listened a few times, but don't notice anything unusual.
    JMO, of course.
    All my hens and pullets seem to have different calls, clucks, purrs, like each has their own little vocabulary and that's how you can tell who is talking.
    [​IMG]

5. skippinsudsy

skippinsudsy New Egg

May 15, 2007
    I think they all sound like normal chicks. Maybe it has something more important to say and is trying to get the point across! Wouldn't it be nice if we could understand chicken!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Everything sounds normal to me.

7. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    LOL maybe it's the same sound I heard when I thought my chicks were coughing.......one day later it sounds different - like a cluck ??? I think as long as she seems healthy don't worry yet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by