Weird Poop from Lethargic Cochin...(Warning: Descriptive w/ Photo!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollywoodHillsHens, May 9, 2011.

1. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey guys,

I've been poring over the "poop page" for a while, but can't find anything that mirrors this from my girl "Blanche" - she was off her food (in a crate, but she did drink water with sulfa antibacs) for a day or two. Her feathers are slightly droopy, but she can walk. After I carried her from the crate for a little sunshine and grass grazing, she waddled around and noisily launched THIS (note the green granular pieces beneath the white cap):

[​IMG]

Immediately afterward she went to graze on the lawn and gobbled down some sunflower seeds I'd scattered for her...then "sat down" in the grass again.

One of our other girls just recovered from something similar ("Dorothy" was in the dog crate a couple of weeks ago, for regular forum readers), although her poop was more "greasy mustard."

Any ideas as to what this might be? I wormed all the hens with Wazine about 2 months ago....

THANK YOU!!!

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    these meds can cause poop / digestive problems. Antibiotics take away good bacteria as well as the bad ones, wormers can too. Maybe they need a little break from the meds. give her some plain yogurt, greek style is better, it will help to restore her digestive system, prob. some electrolyte solution would help too.

3. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Tammye!! Awesome advice - coincidentally I regularly feed the girls organic Greek-style yogurt from Trader Joe's!! Blanche hasn't been eating the yogurt in a few days (she'll eat cantaloupe though) so perhaps that's what is going on. I'll give some electrolytes to the hens as well.

4. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    The yogurt & electrolytes are great advice.
    Whenever one of my girls seems a bit "off", I supplement her diet by feeding her some foods that are high in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A. She might have a nutrient deficiency, and vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins for a chickens overall health.
    Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E (strong immune system).
    If you have any of these veggies, boil them up until they are soft & chop them into bite-size pieces or mash them with a fork.
    I hope she is feeling better soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by