Weird poop

MjCampos

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
My 7/8 week old chickies were out in their pen today and I noticed an odd poop. It looks like wet sawdust. Is this something I need to treat? I’m brand new to chickens. It was a pior, I used a stick to look at it and spread it out.
F006BC9D-A1E1-469B-BBAD-4D6B5EE7D8D7.jpeg

My chicks this year have been gobbling pine chips like they are they best snack ever! It drives me insane. If your chicks are in a new environment (at 7/8 weeks, I'm guessing they're new to the coop/run?), maybe one overindulged in the bedding?

I don't see anything alarming. Consistency can vary depending on what they are eating and how much they are drinking, so if it's hot out droppings can be runnier. Could just be some undigested feed, or something else they found and ate. If they are all acting normally it's probably fine. Just keep an eye on them for anything amiss. Make sure they have access to poultry grit, so they can digest whatever they are finding.

My chicks this year have been gobbling pine chips like they are they best snack ever! It drives me insane. If your chicks are in a new environment (at 7/8 weeks, I'm guessing they're new to the coop/run?), maybe one overindulged in the bedding?
That makes sense! Thank you. Should I get them grit? To help digest it better?

I don't see anything alarming. Consistency can vary depending on what they are eating and how much they are drinking, so if it's hot out droppings can be runnier. Could just be some undigested feed, or something else they found and ate. If they are all acting normally it's probably fine. Just keep an eye on them for anything amiss. Make sure they have access to poultry grit, so they can digest whatever they are finding.
Thank you!

That makes sense! Thank you. Should I get them grit? To help digest it better?
I started mine on grit as soon as I saw them catch and eat an insect that wandered into the brooder, lol. Yes, they aren't really going to "digest" pine shavings, but it will help them grind up anything they eat off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom