Weird Poop?

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Southern California
Yesterday I brought home 5 new chicks, two of which were about 3 weeks old already. One of the 3 week olds (Barred Rock) is pooping kind of dark, gummy poop. It's maybe reddish or orangish brown and a little more wet than a peanut butter texture, I guess. Not watery and no color seperations- all solid color. Other than that she (maybe a she?) seems fine, maybe a little bit more lethargic than the other 3 week old, but still gets up and walks around and eats, etc. Should I seperate her, or even all 5 I got that day? What should I do? Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Poo
chart!
smile.png

Quote:
WOW who knew! I had no idea they shed their intestinal lining! this is a very helpful chart!!

Wow! Very helpful, thank you! I'm thinking the one that most resembles my chick's is in the ceacal category, but the chart says that happens every 8-10 droppings and I think this is how the majority of her poo has been. I guess I could be missing a lot of it, but when I had her out in the yard I saw her do 2 like it. Well, hopefully I'll catch her doing a more normal looking one and it will make me feel better.
smile.png

Thanks for all of your help!

Quote:
I AM VERY CONFUSED. I thought the shedding of intestinal lining was due to cocci? Or does fresh watery blood indicate cocci?
hmm.png

Quote:
I AM VERY CONFUSED. I thought the shedding of intestinal lining was due to cocci? Or does fresh watery blood indicate cocci?
hmm.png

Shedding intestinal lining is normal and is due to cocci. All chickens have cocci in their system. It's when it gets out of control is when there is a problem and that's when you see blood in chicks poop. That usually means it's in its last stage and death is imminent for the chicks and requires immediate treatment with corid.

Back
Top Bottom