Weird quail sickness? Seizures, stargazing, head lump, difficulty breathing

backyardbirds394

Songster
Aug 24, 2018
Pounce first had a lump on his head, watery eyes, and rattle breath. My grandma and I put triple antibiotic on his head lump which decreased in size. We also built him a mini coop with a hot water bottle as a steamer which seemed to improve his watery eyes and breathing.

But then he started getting neurological symptoms like stargazing has difficulty walking. He’s still drinking and eating when we don’t see him because the food and water levels decrease. His crop area is also inflated and he has blood spots on his nose now is it too humid or dry from the steam?

What can we do to treat him and what could this be? Mareks? Tetanus or botulism? Avian flu? Please help Ponce get better :’(

You said he had a lump on his head. It sounds like he may have flushed and hit his head. That is fairly common with quail.

Hopefully he will improve soon.
Thanks for replying. So does the shaking ever improve? And what about the other symptoms like the inflated crop?

He could also have wry neck check into that and see if the symptoms fit. I have a 2 wk old that has an odd head tilt. I don’t think my issue is wry neck so probably someone stepped on it. But it could have also happened when it flew up and hit the top even though it’s only 2wks old. I don’t interfere with oddities unless the bird is in distress or starving because it can’t eat then it’s culled.

I like their feed but it’s not readily available. I’d add vitamins to the water and see if it helps. Certain ones for wry neck but you’ll have to look up which ones

He eats Kruses Perfection super chick feed. The others aren’t showing any symptoms.
I think it's your feed. I just looked it up, and it is for chickens. It does not have nearly enough protein for young quail. He might improve if you start feeding a Gamebirds or turkey starter, but it may be too late for him.

Your other quail may not be showing the same symptoms, but they will probably start showing signs of malnutrition eventually.

If he doesn't improve after you start giving him proper feed, you may need to cull the poor guy.

I agree with @Nabiki, not enough protein, should be at least 24% protein. It also doesn't have very much Lysine 1% and I couldn't find anything on methionine, 2 key amino acids for proper neurologic and muscle/skeletal development. Most likely why it's having the symptoms you have described.

Try to find a balanced and complete Gamebird feed or a Turkey Starter. Chicken feeds and chick starter feed don't have the necessary minerals and essential vitamins needed by game birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom