Weird rooster question..?

Jun 13, 2017
Minnesota
My neighbor has some broody hens and wants to have them hatch some eggs, but he does not have a rooster and I do..
Would it work for him to bring these hens over and for me to put my rooster his hens in a separate enclosure from my hens for a few days, or would that be too stressful on the rooster and hens? Would the hens pick on my cowardly rooster, or vice versa? Also I have this rooster to protect my hens, which would be a concern having them wandering without their rooster..

If your flocks have already met and intermingled, it's too late to worry about biosecurity. If they are far apart, so no diseases could have been shared, consider having your rooster visit them, or something.
My nearest neighbor who has chickens is 1/3 mile downwind, and so there's no way I'd have our birds meet, ever. Biosecurity!!!
Mary

I'm not worried about biosecurity. They live right across the street. The problem with bringing my rooster over is their overwhelming amount of hens. Onyx (my rooster) would be picked on so bad I am guessing.

Probably. Have a few hens picked out, and see how they get along. have them fenced next to each other for at least a few days before letting them together.
You don't want any of them wanting to cross the road to resocialize later, either.
Mary

My chickens are a different breed than his. I do have a few in the incubator for him so he can have different funny looking chickens, but I think he wants good producing 'normal' chickens mainly.

My chickens are a different breed than his. I do have a few in the incubator for him so he can have different funny looking chickens, but I think he wants good producing 'normal' chickens mainly.
All your hens are 'not-normal' and 'funny looking'? :(
JK.
Have fun figuring it out.
Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom