Weird shell

Dianekw

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Ok I'm stumped. I've been scouring the internet and i cant find anything like it. At first I thought it was a lash egg, but when i drummed up the nerve to open it, it was a totally normal egg inside! On the inside, the shell seems like any other...complete with the shell membrane. But on the outside, it had what looked like another thicker layer...almost a millimeter thick, that looked like some kind of fuzzy clay completely evenly covering the shell. I couldnt separate it from the shell...seemed to be almost a part of the shell. The nest box had no dirt or even smudge on the pine shavings or the box itself. I'm not hundred percent sure who laid it either...I have 5 hens...two of em laid their normal egg...that leaves three possible girls:

1. Viviane(2 1/2 yrs old Naked Neck x Cream Legbar)...has been laying an egg almost every day for two years...takes a one day break every week or every other week. She's a powerhouse... She lays through molting, freezing winter, and what seems to be some kind of respiratory issue lately?(been makin funny noises for a coupla months 😒). She has been taking an unprecedented TEN day break from laying. Could this wierdly coated egg be hers? ...she's a green egg layer tho...and her eggs have always been almost round...its always hard to tell which is the "pointy" end! This doesnt LOOK like it came from her...but then again it doesnt look like it came from ANY of my girls! 😬

2. Gertrude(6 yr old EE)...rarely lays an egg anymore, but still pops one out for me...oh....once a month or so. I dont THINK it was her, cuz she lays light blue eggs, but the shape is exactly what she always does...long and skinny.

3. Mabel (6 yr old Black Astrolorp). Also slowing way down, she lays a medium brown egg once a month or so. This is NOT her shape...she does nice big fat eggs, and this is WAY darker than her usual, but this mystery egg seems to be a clearly brown egg covered in even darker "stuff", and she's the only other brown layer.

So...what do you experts think??? What the heck is it? And who laid it? Oh...btw...they are all acting totally normal...except Vivi, who's been wheezing and breathing loud lately, but otherwise totally normal. No changes in activity levels or pecking order or anything.

Attachments

• 20221212_162448.jpg
    20221212_162448.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221212_162527.jpg
    20221212_162527.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221213_115926.jpg
    20221213_115926.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221213_120116.jpg
    20221213_120116.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 4
I would agree that it looks like calcium deposits on the shell. Do you have one who lays brown eggs that shade?

Last edited:
It didnt feel like calcium tho...it felt very much like a dried mud or clay. I didnt try real hard, but it didnt seem like it would come OFF the shell. I probably should have gotten it wet before I chucked it...to see how soluble it was, but honestly it was kinda creeping me out. I think IvysAnimals might be on to something with the bloom...its WAY to thick and dark to be a normal bloom, but it IS on the OUTSIDE of a seemingly normal shell. I dont have any chickens that lay that dark...the darkest i have is the astrolorp, Mabel, who lays the same color as my buff brahma, Zelda(6 months old), who laid the little baby egg above it in the first pic....she just started. 😊🥰 but no...I'm pretty sure its not her cuz shes been laying beauiful perfectly normal eggs, and she laid the same day, the day before, AND the day after this wierdo egg showed up...she's a little machine!!! 🥰 she wouldnt have time to have laid another one in between.

It is cool looking though.

I agree, likely stayed in the shell gland for a good period of time.
I'd say it has come from a brown egg layer, so you may be able to rule out your other colored eggers.

As for a remedy. I don't know of one. I'd see if it happens again. Could be a glitch, shell gland defect or ?

Yeah...I'm 90% sure it was Mabel, cuz of the brown shell, but that wierd extra "clay/mud" coating is just too bizarre...i cant find anything like it online! Maybe Mabel is just a one of a kind bird! 😝 she's got some kind of funky gland in there! 🤪 I'll post if i get anything like it again (tho I doubt I will!). Thanks guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom