weird sleeping spot

charlielynnsingletary

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
pearl river,la
my hens won't go to the hen house to sleep. i've put a what i thought was a nice roosting spot and nothing. they rather pile up on each other outside in the run in the corner. is this normal or do i have weird hens. now i 've only had them since the weekend could that have something to do with. sorry i have posted on so many topics but i very new to chickens.

Sometimes you have to show the girls where the nice roost is. When we first put our pullets into their new coop I'd go out at dusk, when they'd gotten pretty sleepy, and pick them up and put them on the roost. At first they'd jump off but I'd just put them right back on, and after a few tries they settled down. By the second or third night they'd figured it out and were going there on their own. Goodnight chickens!

Tonight I saw, for the first time, my hens all roosting together. I was really worried because they were all snuggling in a single nesting box for the past 3 weeks (that is when I got them..they are from 8-12 weeks now). I didn't know what to do, but tonight, they finally are doing their proper chicken roosting. It was adorable to see and also a huge relief. I didn't want to deal with "roosting intervention". I'm sure your babies will figure it out in time. It's instinctive. If you have great roosting options, then they will find them in their own time. Keep the faith!!!! Montcapu and Fargosmom have great advice.

welcome-byc.gif
I would shut them in the coop for 2/3 days and let them get used to it then let them out. I did it with some of my birds, Now they all go in the coop in the eve like clockwork. Also I bribed them somewhat by giving them some scratch grain treats in the coop every eve.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom