Weird soft rubber shelled egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dirty Farmer, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I have four pullets, and they have all been laying eggs steady for about two months now. four eggs everyday, once in a while three. Every egg has always been layed in the nesting box. Then tonight when I went out to lock the pop door on their coop (free range chickens) and check their feed/water, I noticed a soft shelled egg on the floor of the coop. No shell what so ever, almost like a rubber shell. They have crushed oyster shells and have been on layer feed since late summer just before they started laying.

Is this normal for a hen to throw out a softy once in a while? Why now out of the blue?

2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Not to worry, when they start laying you can get a rubber egg now and then [​IMG]

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    It takes some time for them to get their plumbing working right sometimes. This is not a problem it will work itself out in no time.

4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    They boil up nicely, I gave mine to my dog..she didn't know if it was a ball or what..but she soon fiqured it out and now begs for deviled eggs! [​IMG] who knew

5. pickn4flowers

pickn4flowers New Egg

Mar 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Oh! Good to know that the egg is edible. I'll cook those up for my dog Too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by