Weird spot in yolk...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by camershek, Jan 21, 2017.

1. camershek

camershek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    Just went and took care of my hens. I always forget to grab the eggs so today I got 12, 1 had a crack so I tossed it into the field. Brought the other 11 in and made sure they weren't cracked. Noticed two were so I cracked them for my dogs.. the first one I cracked concerned me a bit. Want to know what you all think. She hasn't been sick and is acting normal. She's been laying since September (give it take) and I've never seen any egg like this. I only have 4 hens in my coop. No Rooster. The spots are red.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    I am going to say that that is a meat spot, by the looks of it. It should not be something to worry about because it isn't a health problem.
    Hope this helped!

3. camershek

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan

Thank you! I've never seen it before so wasn't sure if I should be concerned.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep, looks like a meat spot. They happen sometimes, but are nothing to worry about. I just scoop them out before using them. They're not harmful, just don't look very appetizing.

5. camershek

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    I just fed it to my dog haha. We give them eggs to help their coats and that one was cracked anyways and I'm not sure for how long. Now I know!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by