Weirdly Thin Egg Shells

What is calcium content on your feed? Could be a springtime anomaly, or more likely nutrient deficiency. I don’t recommend oyster shell unless ground fine….crushed eggshells are fine typically if need extra calcium
Thank you - Calcium is in the 2% range. I attached the pic on another reply. And good to know about the find ground oyster shells.

Those eggs appear immature- note lack of coloration. While more calcium is definitely a good idea, it won’t stop those from happening. At 11 wks, your gals have been laying a little over a month? Unfinished eggs should be less frequent as they get older, but I still get one here and there. Maybe 1 or 2 a week from 2 dozen hens. Not sure what causes them to plop before they’re done; maybe stress? Maybe someone on here has a little more insight.

Those eggs appear immature- note lack of coloration. While more calcium is definitely a good idea, it won’t stop those from happening. At 11 wks, your gals have been laying a little over a month? Unfinished eggs should be less frequent as they get older, but I still get one here and there. Maybe 1 or 2 a week from 2 dozen hens. Not sure what causes them to plop before they’re done; maybe stress? Maybe someone on here has a little more insight.
Our girls are just starting to lay and one is popping out huge perfect eggs every day but we found an empty sac on the floor of the cage today. It looks like just the membrane. I was fussing and worrying all day but I'm thinking this may be normal as they start?

Our girls are just starting to lay and one is popping out huge perfect eggs every day but we found an empty sac on the floor of the cage today. It looks like just the membrane. I was fussing and worrying all day but I'm thinking this may be normal as they start?
It does happen sometimes with new layers. If it happens regularly, then it's probably a lack of calcium.

Calcium citrate works immediately to increase calcium intake, whereas, oyster shell, egg shell, or an increase in calcium in a feed takes longer to process through the digestive system.
Although, calcium citrate is usually given when they are egg bound, it still will work to increase their calcium levels.
Also, should be noted the importance of D3, to the uptake of calcium, so check the tag to see what percentage of D3 is in the feed.

Last edited:
Calcium citrate works immediately to increase calcium intake, whereas, oyster shell, egg shell, or an increase in calcium in a feed takes longer to process through the digestive system.
Although, calcium citrate is usually given when they are egg bound, it still will work to increase their calcium levels.
Also, should be noted the importance of D3, to the uptake of calcium, so check the tag to see what percentage of D3 is in the feed.
1647342707158.png

This is the layer feed I'm using.

View attachment 3025428
This is the layer feed I'm using.
The one of the things that bothers me about this feed is the source of vitamin D3....activated animal sterol!!!! That's cholesterol!...which is needed to make other hormones like testosterone, estrogen, etc, but they are using it as the main source of vitamin D3, which really isn't a vitamin but a hormone.
Another topic for another time.

Calcium levels are adequate, provided that is the true percent? Another bother is sodium levels or that many sources of sodium and phosphorus levels are high. Niacin levels are a little low. Also, it says NON-GMO??? how can they claim that when all corn, most wheat and soybeans are GMO!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom