Welarans, Welsummer x Marans

43DEB38B-1B30-4E4A-A81D-55EB03C17702.jpeg
C3D04C6B-A5B4-4CF6-A5D2-5135DAC5B19D.jpeg

Great job! They're really pretty, happy to see they're not just black, I have so many black chickens i am running out of ways to tell them apart. :)
They were all black at hatch but are browning up. They’re identical so I tagged the one who had an umbilical hernia and closed toes that I had to make boots for with bandaids so her name is Boots and the other is Dora lol.

Here are my two. As you can see one got more of the blue copper maran genes and the other looks more Welsummer with blue in the tail and only a tiny bit of leg feathering. Both have the typical golden neck lacing of the Welsummer.
20220618_125135.jpg
20220618_125120.jpg

Only the two made it from the four I hatched but it was my first time hatching and I used a home made incubator so I’m surprised I got what I did! 😊
I came to this forum looking for this same info. I crossed a BCM roo with a Wellsummer hen and she hatched out 3. They're 5 weeks old now and I can already tell one is a roo, the other two are pullets. The girls look very much like the one in your picture, with that black/brown marble look. Have yours started to lay yet? Curious how the eggs look. The boy's comb & wattle are already reddening. He's all black except for a white chest/belly. Please keep me posted!

I would love flock of marans x wellsummer mixed birds. A dark egg with speckles!
I have a hen I believe has some wellsummer blood, she's an EE that lays a green speckled egg. I could be dreamin though.

As for mixing vs purity, I believe in full disclosure of mixed breeding in the event that one is selling birds. If the buyer knows what they are getting, then there is nothing wrong with it.

When it comes to beautiful birds, sometimes the mixed ones are incredible! Like the ones in this thread; all the photos shared feature some stunning chickens.

I would love flock of marans x wellsummer mixed birds. A dark egg with speckles!
I have a hen I believe has some wellsummer blood, she's an EE that lays a green speckled egg. I could be dreamin though.

As for mixing vs purity, I believe in full disclosure of mixed breeding in the event that one is selling birds. If the buyer knows what they are getting, then there is nothing wrong with it.

When it comes to beautiful birds, sometimes the mixed ones are incredible! Like the ones in this thread; all the photos shared feature some stunning chickens.
If you want to get colourful chooks you need to cross your wellsummer hen/ hens with a silver cuckoo Marans rooster or a birchen rooster . They progeny will be pretty looking and they will lay dark egg.
Good luck
Chooks man

I came to this forum looking for this same info. I crossed a BCM roo with a Wellsummer hen and she hatched out 3. They're 5 weeks old now and I can already tell one is a roo, the other two are pullets. The girls look very much like the one in your picture, with that black/brown marble look. Have yours started to lay yet? Curious how the eggs look. The boy's comb & wattle are already reddening. He's all black except for a white chest/belly. Please keep me posted!
I came looking for the same! I have exactly your mix (BCM over Wellsummer) and ALSO had three hatch out, ALSO one baby roo, and two pullets. Yes! The girls black/brown marble, and the boy had a white belly to start (first picture), but now looks a lot like his BCM dad (second picture). Comb/wattle got red FAST and he's already started crowing at 3 months. Looking forward to seeing what color eggs the girls lay. Mom doesn't lay with speckles, but they're good size.

Attachments

• IMG_3337 (2).JPG
    IMG_3337 (2).JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221210_144912 (1).jpg
    20221210_144912 (1).jpg
    300 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom