Welcome to the Duck Disco House

Another problem I see with the tarp over the cattle panels on the roof is that it will take a raccoon about 2 seconds to climb up the side of that structure, tear the tarp and climb through those holes in the cattle panel. I use them in my garden for the cucumbers and pole beans and the holes in them are plenty big enough for raccoons to get through and I'll bet you've got a lot of them where you live.

By the way I think your skills in woodworking are just fine plus you're learning a lot too!

Another problem I see with the tarp over the cattle panels on the roof is that it will take a raccoon about 2 seconds to climb up the side of that structure, tear the tarp and climb through those holes in the cattle panel. I use them in my garden for the cucumbers and pole beans and the holes in them are plenty big enough for raccoons to get through and I'll bet you've got a lot of them where you live.

By the way I think your skills in woodworking are just fine plus you're learning a lot too!

I thankfully haven’t had issues with a raccoon yet. But I know that doesn’t mean I won’t in the future. Most fuzzy things avoid the backyard because they have to tangle with the dogs. But I don’t know how long that will last. So I will have to look into something a bit more solid for a roof eventually.

This duck house has been a huge learning experience for me. Specially in dealing with everything that is going on in the world today. I have had to try and get creative to make it work.

I thankfully haven’t had issues with a raccoon yet. But I know that doesn’t mean I won’t in the future. Most fuzzy things avoid the backyard because they have to tangle with the dogs. But I don’t know how long that will last. So I will have to look into something a bit more solid for a roof eventually.

This duck house has been a huge learning experience for me. Specially in dealing with everything that is going on in the world today. I have had to try and get creative to make it work.
Well, I commend you for all your hard work. You've put your heart and soul into this and you should be pretty proud.

I hated criticizing your roof without giving you a solution so I just asked my husband, the duck pen builder, and he suggested that if you put hardware cloth OVER cattle panel that would help.

OR leave as is and go dumpster diving at construction sites for pieces of wood that you could put over the tarp and attach to the roof boards? There is so much building going on around here we just built a whole new duck pen using wood that my husband brought home from work that was going to be thrown away.

I did think about that but wasn’t sure what type of wire to use/ would be best. I know for sure that the metal in the panels won’t break as we tried once it wouldn’t break or snap with the tools we had.
One of the best tools I have found for putting panels together has been hog ring pliers! And hog rings of course. These are amazing. The rings don't break yet will still allow you to move the panels as needed. So for future reference if you can get a set of these it makes things alot easier.

Back
Top Bottom