well, darn it- another staggered hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I set my EE and button quail tonight. I planned on receiving all my eggs between today and tomorrow (dont count your eggs before they arrive). However, I just received an email stating that my silkies and my Houdans shipped today. darn darn darn....here I was so excited that I wasnt going to stagger it all out this time around. I guess the only way for that to happen will be for me to learn to order it all from one person.

I have been so sad since my stupid dog killed my nine favorites, I went overboard with my ordering eggs. I set eight EE today, and seven are blue. I told the seller what happened, and how my wiggly blue egg-turned-baby hawk EE pullet was viciously murdered by a stupid weiner dog...and how sad my daughter and I were. He must have taken it to heart and only picked blue eggs. [​IMG] My ten year old is so smart- or perhaps a smart alec...because she told me:" It will be my luck that the next hawk baby that loves me will end up being a rooster..." [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hoping that we get a loving hawk wanna-be GIRL out of these...its going to be a long 21 days.

2. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Awww sorry to hear about what your dog did. I have a mini Dachshund and a Chiweenie too. I keep them tied(will soon have a dog run for them. If they had a chance I think they would kill my free range chickens. I'm not giving them that chance. I had heard a while ago that they will kill chickens. Good luck with your hatch!

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks- she managed to get the brooder in the bedroom open, and within just seconds, she killed nine babies.

It was one of the most traumatic things I have witnessed. Two died in my hands. There is no doubt that she would kill more if given the chance. I was tempted to let her meet my brother in laws rooster- but I dont think she would learn even then.

She cant get into the bedroom now, and my chicken yard is weiner-proof...so I hope I have fixed the problem.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear about your chicks.

Good luck with the hatches!

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I too have a Dachshund daughter that we love dearly. I know that if given a chance, she would probably taken a chicken out. I let her in the "chicken courtyard" with me while the girls were out yesterday and she did really well. I only had to say "no" when she even looked like she wanted to go after one and she backed off. She's one of those dogs that LOVES to please us and her biggest reward in life is to hear "good girl". She got a lot of those yesterday as well! BUT...I still would not trust her without me there!!

I'm so sorry that you lost your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by