Well, finally logged in

Sylv

Chirping
Jun 22, 2018
I have been looking at this very useful site for some time and thought I would get registered. Doubt I will have anything useful to say but will have some questions. I'm sure you are busy people so skip all this and go to the last sentence.
I live on our farm in Wales (which is the lump on the left hand side of the UK). We have alpacas, a few Shetland sheep, 3 angora goats and 3 pygmy goats and my dear old Border collie Alfie. We have guinea pigs and 3 rabbits in the barn, a lot of wild rabbits outside the barn, an aviary in the barn too with a lot of Chinese painted quail which I hatched. Then there are the chickens Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, Welsummers and Marans (only a few of each) all laying well which pleases the neighbours. And 3 supposedly feral rescue cats. Recently I bought 3 peacocks. I was going to hatch some eggs but found eggs were expensive so got 3 yearlings. Then.........I found the peahens were very pricey so bought some eggs and then the problems started! They wouldn't fit into incubators, I bought another one - it didn't work and had to go back - I put a few eggs in one incubator, a few in another, squeezed (not literally) into the centre 8 thermometers gave different readings. Bought a better incubator and more eggs because I was certain the others were ruined. If they are it will be disappointing, if they hatch I will be over run with peachicks. I am very close to being a nervous wreck.
I am in my 70s so please be gentle!!

I have been looking at this very useful site for some time and thought I would get registered. Doubt I will have anything useful to say but will have some questions. I'm sure you are busy people so skip all this and go to the last sentence.
I live on our farm in Wales (which is the lump on the left hand side of the UK). We have alpacas, a few Shetland sheep, 3 angora goats and 3 pygmy goats and my dear old Border collie Alfie. We have guinea pigs and 3 rabbits in the barn, a lot of wild rabbits outside the barn, an aviary in the barn too with a lot of Chinese painted quail which I hatched. Then there are the chickens Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, Welsummers and Marans (only a few of each) all laying well which pleases the neighbours. And 3 supposedly feral rescue cats. Recently I bought 3 peacocks. I was going to hatch some eggs but found eggs were expensive so got 3 yearlings. Then.........I found the peahens were very pricey so bought some eggs and then the problems started! They wouldn't fit into incubators, I bought another one - it didn't work and had to go back - I put a few eggs in one incubator, a few in another, squeezed (not literally) into the centre 8 thermometers gave different readings. Bought a better incubator and more eggs because I was certain the others were ruined. If they are it will be disappointing, if they hatch I will be over run with peachicks. I am very close to being a nervous wreck.
I am in my 70s so please be gentle!!
grey-woot-welcome-farmer-co.gif

Thanks for the welcome, so kind of you. 8 days to the first possible Peachick hatch (probably not). 17 days to the next also very dubious. I actually had several broody hens I could have stuck them under but they tend to peck any eggs laid near them so I didn't want to risk that.

Back
Top Bottom