Well, getting started up again!

ToMang07

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
Maine
Haven been on in a while, out last batch of chickens started plucking each other really bad and stopped laying, what eggs were getting laid were getting eaten. So we ended up butchering the ones we had, (Unfortunate, but they were costing way too much in food and I'm not giving away "problem" birds) and this spring removed the old coop and fencing to put in all new posts and a new, better designed coop.

Well, new coop is MUCH improved, much easier to clean out, 4 proper nesting boxes in their own compartment (in the back) better ventilation, higher off the ground, guillotine door, roost-style ramp so crap doesn't freeze on it, and VERY strong. (I'm over 300 lbs and can stand in it.) New yard is a tad bigger as well, went from 20x20' to 24x24', and have a much better designed door to the yard.

Very happy with my setup, and the chicks a Buff Orpingtons and should be much more docile. (More than the Rhode Island Reds were)

Anywho, here are some pics!

Oh, and I thought I'd share, literally 2 minutes after my brother and I finished the yard, we started cleaning up tools just to watch this feathered brat land right next to the yard....kinda looks like he was waiting for some chicken nuggets.

Nice coop. I never had a pecking problem with Buff Orps and they are very sweet chickens. Yep, hawks will attack chickens... It is good that they can hide under the coop if they spot the hawk in time. You might want to give the chickens a few more places that are convenient to take cover spaced within the run.

Was watching Willow my U2 the other morning, noticed someone else peeking in my bedroom window...

20150906_073543_zpss826t2lh.jpg

20150906_073601_zps9tbz3rcr.jpg

20150906_073613_zpsekwnnstv.jpg

20150906_073641_zpsijlfuc3v.jpg

Back
Top Bottom