well heck…

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
I have two mamas with clutches right now. I started keeping both in their own dog kennels inside the big coop to them them on their eggs not switching to others, and have been taking mamas out for a coffee break 2x day.

Because they’ve been mostly isolated they now get picked on some during their breaks so I am setting them up in their own sections of run to raise the babies at least for a few weeks. Just now mama #1 wanted to lead her 2 babies out of the protected area for a walk so I supervised. My very good rooster tried to peck his babies 😭 so they’re back in their safe area with mama.

Last time I hatched, that mama wasn’t caged and came and went freely and raised the babies in the regular flock. We had a different rooster, and never had any chicks pecked.

Does this sound normal? Mama #2 is due tomorrow and she’ll also get her own safe area.

I loved how easy this was last time. Darn.

Pic of mama Sammie and papa George Bailey.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Oh I'm so sorry. Sometimes roosters get very territorial. They can see the chicks as threats. Sadly one peck on the head in the wrong spot can give them neurological damage that's permanent. I'd wait tell they could hold their own better before interacting with the rooster. Every rooster is different some are good as gold and others are VERY protective and see other birds as a threat. That's my guess what's happening here. Be careful because depending on. His temperament he can kill the chicks easily. He sees it as protecting his current flock. Good luck.God bless

Back
Top Bottom