Well house chicken coop

Deleon98

Songster
Dec 26, 2015
Florida
Has anyone ever tried to covert a wellhouse into a chicken coop? I would appreciate any advice. Its only going to be for three chickens btw.Ill post a pic of what mine looks like...ik ill need to fix it up a bit, specidically the walls but it looks like it has good ventilation cause the roof is slanted in a way that provides a gap between it and the walls.

Last edited:
I am not visioning your structure , but have some Ideas worth thinking over. I am also a pragmatist, so I like to take the most practical way out. If converting what you have into a small shed is practical, then all you need inside is a roost board and something spread on floor like wood shavings, straw , hay, sand, or just leave earth. Things that provide dry walking for chickens are best. A box with some hay in it to create a nest box can be placed on the floor, or raised on something 12 inches off the floor. Try to provide a window type opening to let in light. Since you are in Florida, an opening covered over with hardware cloth will serve well.
Your aim is for 3 chickens, so think about this option. A prefab coop kit available on ebay for about 200 bones. Here is a pix of what I am referencing. ( I don't sell these or anything else by the way)

Advantage here is it also includes a protected run underneath. You didn't mention If your chickens were going to be free ranging, or you were thinking of providing them with a secure run area. Predators are EVERYWHERE.
Here is a pix of my coop. A repurposed lil tykes playhouse. All it cost me was time. All else I had as leftover wood, and other materials. I used natural tree branches as roosts for a natural feel.

WISHING YOU BEST Ask all you need to know....
AND
welcome-byc.gif

I am not visioning your structure , but have some Ideas worth thinking over. I am also a pragmatist, so I like to take the most practical way out. If converting what you have into a small shed is practical, then all you need inside is a roost board and something spread on floor like wood shavings, straw , hay, sand, or just leave earth. Things that provide dry walking for chickens are best. A box with some hay in it to create a nest box can be placed on the floor, or raised on something 12 inches off the floor. Try to provide a window type opening to let in light. Since you are in Florida, an opening covered over with hardware cloth will serve well. Your aim is for 3 chickens, so think about this option. A prefab coop kit available on ebay for about 200 bones. Here is a pix of what I am referencing. ( I don't sell these or anything else by the way) Advantage here is it also includes a protected run underneath. You didn't mention If your chickens were going to be free ranging, or you were thinking of providing them with a secure run area. Predators are EVERYWHERE. Here is a pix of my coop. A repurposed lil tykes playhouse. All it cost me was time. All else I had as leftover wood, and other materials. I used natural tree branches as roosts for a natural feel. WISHING YOU BEST Ask all you need to know.... AND :welcome
OK thanks ^-^ I actually have t he first coop up top buy I don't think it's enough space for 6 grown chickens so I'm trynna do something without spending too much XD

caveman rich gave your some good suggestions.

Your weather likely differs greatly from the Chicago area. If you are in a city that gets very hot summers, you may want a coop that has one or two sides of 1/2"hardware cloth attached to strong framing, and two solid walls - to allow for more air flow. You could also have a couple solid panels you could attach to the wire sides when you get severe weather

You may also want to post on your state thread and see how others handle the heat & humidity, etc.

Id love to expand my current coop but i dont know how to do stuff like that and id just end up ruining it :p Maybe i could find someone who does though. Ill make sure to lool in my state thread too

Back
Top Bottom