Well, I did it. The chickens are OUT!

Ah! I didn't realize they weren't feathered out, if you can keep them in till they're feathers are grown in that really is important. If you can keep them in a cool part of the house, they'll actually feather out faster, and I do understand about them being bored in small quarters, if you can expand things anyway, that's helpful. I definitely sympathize with the dust they produce from the new feather shafts, and the smell as they grow etc etc... but by starting it now, you'll be so far ahead in the spring. It's going to be hard for now though. I don't mean to discourage you though, I really think you'll be happy in the long run, but for now you also have my sympathy.
hmm.png

Okay - so I did it! The chickens are eight weeks now, fully feathered and out in the coop (their second night). It's been unusually warm here this week, so I think the transition was pretty painless. We'll see how they feel when we get back to normal winter temps. The girls look pretty happy in their coop but only peek out the door and so far haven't ventured out into the run.
It's great to get that mess out of the house - although I miss hearing the peeping!

Back
Top Bottom