1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well I know the breed but they look different...i think.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kombertini, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Kombertini

Kombertini Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    California
    So I hatched some mixes! These two are mixed with a Plymouth partridge rock hen
    and a EE rooster. [​IMG]

I just figured they would look something like the mom or dad as chicks.

Mom as a chick[​IMG]
    Mom as an adult [​IMG]

Dad as a chick [​IMG]

Dad as adult [​IMG]

They look more like my welsummer and speckled Sussex when they were chicks. Is this just "baby hairs" and it will change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The father is an Easter egger, which is a mixed breed to start with. It's impossible to guess his genetic make up by looking at him. You will just have to wait and see how they feather out, that's the fun of mixing breeds, you never know what you are going to get.

Usually first generation crosses have the coloring of the darker parent. The second generation crosses will start to bring out more of the lighter coloring.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    since EEs are not a purebred, and you are mixing color patterns as well, you really can't expect them to look like the parents, honestly. Chick down is not fully representative of the adult look though, so only time will tell what they end up looking like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by