Well, I think I am going to end up with 3 hatched Barred Rocks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SandyC, Jun 26, 2008.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

There are two more that have pipped, it will be into day 24 around 10 this evening. If they haven't hatched by then, can I assume it won't happen?

The little chick I was so concerned about in my other posts, the first one to pip, I think hatched just as I peeked in this am. I can't tell for sure because the other chicks have moved the eggs around, but the one egg that seemed to be coming on along so well last night, is still this am and I see no sign of the one with the chicks beck sticking out, unless it is face down. With all of the power outages and other problems that I have, I consider this a successful hatch, even though I started with 12 eggs. I really thought I wasn't going to have any. I will update you on the final count and see if I can get some pictures on. The three hatched chicks seem to be doing really well. I will move them into a booder this pm.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Congrats on the hatchlings. By the end of day 24, it's probably safe to toss. But do open the air cell side to see what's going on first as it may help out to figure out what went wrong. With power outages and so on, sounds like you have the answer though. The egg that is pipped and half zipped, you can check on him when you move the rest and if he's stuck, you can try to help by moistening the dried membranes. There's a article inside the "to read" sticky at the top of hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by