1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well I'll Be Darned!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright so I have a Barred Plymouth Rock pullet who is about 38 weeks old, not laying. No squatting, no real big comb or redness, nada. She is my alpha hen so I actually was convinced she wouldn't squat ever, even when she lays. Then my Mom starts wondering if Joon, the BR, is confused on her gender lol.

Well today my sister came to visit and I was showing her how to pet the chickens, and Joon SQUATS! Wings out, full throttle squat. I started jumping up and down, picked my 24 year old "younger" (by 9 months) sister up and started screaming "Oh my god she squatted!! SHE IS GUNNA LAY!!!!" My sister's expression was priceless.. She knows nothing about chickens, and was so confused and scared looking at my crazy reaction LOL but not crazy to you all right?? [​IMG]

So, alas! My nearly 10 month old Barred Rock is squatting which = eggs soon hopefully!! [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No, not crazy to us at all! The only real difference here is that I am real calm whilst acknowledging the squat, doing the skritch on the back of the neck, at the base of the tailfeathers, and the little pat on the back, so I don't scare the bejeezus out of the squatting pullet. Then after she does the little shake and walks away, I do my crazy dance.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL! Joon is so immune to craziness and she is real hard to scare I have pictures of my Mom trying to garden and shoo Munk and Joon out of her patch and they are just dodging her waving hands or gloves [​IMG]

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Before you know it, you're going to be overrun with eggs.

5. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Quote:that sounds awful! HAHA [​IMG]

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    10 months that is a long time to wait for an egg isn't it. [​IMG]

Now you need to let us know when she does.

7. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG]

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Absolutely! They are getting a new coop today and the other two coops are going bye bye so she may push it off a week or two to settle in. But 10 month IS a while, especially for a barred rock. Especially for a HATCHERY barred rock lol!

But Barred Rocks are my favorite eggs look wise, big and brown yum! So the wait was totally worth it. I am so excited! I will definately post her first egg, it better start out full size hen eggs I don't want this pullet egg mess LOL she is a HEN by now hahaha

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here's hoping you get an egg soon.

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:I can fully understand! and it is so funny the way these birds are! each one is an individual- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by