Well I'll Be Darned!!

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
Alright so I have a Barred Plymouth Rock pullet who is about 38 weeks old, not laying. No squatting, no real big comb or redness, nada. She is my alpha hen so I actually was convinced she wouldn't squat ever, even when she lays. Then my Mom starts wondering if Joon, the BR, is confused on her gender lol.

Well today my sister came to visit and I was showing her how to pet the chickens, and Joon SQUATS! Wings out, full throttle squat. I started jumping up and down, picked my 24 year old "younger" (by 9 months) sister up and started screaming "Oh my god she squatted!! SHE IS GUNNA LAY!!!!" My sister's expression was priceless.. She knows nothing about chickens, and was so confused and scared looking at my crazy reaction LOL but not crazy to you all right??
big_smile.png

So, alas! My nearly 10 month old Barred Rock is squatting which = eggs soon hopefully!!
big_smile.png

No, not crazy to us at all! The only real difference here is that I am real calm whilst acknowledging the squat, doing the skritch on the back of the neck, at the base of the tailfeathers, and the little pat on the back, so I don't scare the bejeezus out of the squatting pullet. Then after she does the little shake and walks away, I do my crazy dance.

LOL! Joon is so immune to craziness and she is real hard to scare I have pictures of my Mom trying to garden and shoo Munk and Joon out of her patch and they are just dodging her waving hands or gloves
lol.png

Absolutely! They are getting a new coop today and the other two coops are going bye bye so she may push it off a week or two to settle in. But 10 month IS a while, especially for a barred rock. Especially for a HATCHERY barred rock lol!

But Barred Rocks are my favorite eggs look wise, big and brown yum! So the wait was totally worth it. I am so excited! I will definately post her first egg, it better start out full size hen eggs I don't want this pullet egg mess LOL she is a HEN by now hahaha

Back
Top Bottom