Well, I'm sad, happy, disappointed & excited all rolled into one!

Quote:
Agghh! Can you believe how hot it was yesterday? After being so cool Saturday morning? I have got to find a better place(less temp fluctuations) in my house or either get a fan to put in my incubator. It really didn't do too bad where I had it, but I know a fan would give me even better leeway. The babies and girls are doing great. The babies are just starting to mingle in with the 4 week olds out in the coop brooder. They were just hanging out in the corner. Gabby & Gertrude are all over the place. I can't tell if they are both laying, I only have one nest and I've yet to see them on it. I have started finding a single egg in a brush area I have daily. It could be one of my old hens though. Hubby is working on building me 4 nesting boxes this weekend. They would rather hang out in my garage though, instead of the coop. You had a barn, right? Have a great day and try and stay dry today.

We made an old shed into their house and fenced in a coop area,but mine free range during the day. Several of my sussex girls were creative when it came to nesting places. It was like an Easter egg hunt every day,so the one in the bush may very well be theirs. I hatched 2 serama crosses out of 8 eggs shipped to me last year. They were the cutest chicks,so tiny. Don't you know they are both roos? If you get lucky and have girls and want a boy,let me know. You can have either or both of these boys. I don't need these roos,but they are so small,the hens don't mind,so I've kept them around.

You know how we were talking about how we thought girls feather out faster? Well, all 3 of these Serama babies are getting wings and one is even growing tail feathers already. I'm thinking they are all 3 girls
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks so much for the link. I've read that before. So, I just don't know what to try. I guess I better figure it out, eggs will probably be here tomorrow!

I let the water run out in my bator overnight and it's still holding at 43%. I had thought I would let it go down as suggested in the article a few times but, it seems to have a mind of it's own.
roll.png

TERRI,

THINGS HAPPEN, THESE ARE VERY HARD BIRDS TO HATCH AT TIMES, EVEN AT THE HOUSE HERE, ONE LITTLE THING CAN AFFECT THEM. SOMETIMES 100% AND EVERY NOW AND THEN DEVELOPED BIRDS ARE TOSSED IN THE TRASH FOR NO GOOD REASON. NO IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT, AND ENJOY THE LITTLE BIRDS YOU GOT, IF YOU WANT TO TRY AGAIN LET ME KNOW. I WISH YOU LUCK WITH THE CHICKS YOU HATCHED...

FRANK

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Frank
smile.png
I want to try again with the Serama. I'll let you know. Right now I have moved the incubators (yes, I bought a new one yesterday
clap.gif
) downstairs hoping temps in the room will not fluctuate as much. I have some of my muts and some giant cochins and some cool eggs from Dipsy. What kind of incubator do you have?

Back
Top Bottom