Well, Isn't This Strange?...........

gltrap54

Songster
13 Years
Mar 26, 2010
My 6 Golden Comet hens have gone from drinking maybe a half gallon of water/day on the hottest days & suddenly their 2 Gal waterer has been dry the last couple of days. I filled it this AM. & just gathered eggs this afternoon & it was empty. My first thought was that it was leaking out, but there's no water in the deep litter where the waterer sits. Could they possibly be drinking that much water???

Here's those thirsty critters........

008-1.jpg

OBTW, that's not their current waterer in the pic! They now have a 2 Gal galvanized waterer.

Last edited:
One of my chicken books says one hen can drink at least a quart of water on a hot day. So yes, they can be drinking that much.

Quote:
Thank you flowergirl60! They're for sure my girls........ Got me right where they want me!

Quote:
I guess the part that puzzles me is the fact they were consuming so little water, then pow....... They get lots of fresh veggies from my garden, so I always assumed they were getting a lot of their water from that.......
hu.gif

Mine have been nearly emptying their waterer by afternoon on hot days and I refill it with ice water. I'm amazed at how much those little beaks can put away. We are expecting cooler weather next week - I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom