Well it happened to me ....

Shayna

I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Midwest
My first predator loss. :( After keeping my guineas cooped up for 2 days after the snow I decided to let them out for a coupe hours. Turns out they are terrified of snow and flewup in the trees. When we tried to throw things up there to scare them out, they flew further away into higher trees! They would not come down. They went out into the woods into huge 100+yr old trees. After dark I had no choice but to leave them, which was an awful feeling. I was out this morning before the sun rose to start counting them. Found one on the ground injured but looks like it should heal ok. I cleaned it up. One of my favorite pintos (very pied) is gone and there are coyote tracks all over around the trees. All but that one are accounted for. I know we have tons of predators and I'm just sick for my pinto. I barricaded my chickens in the coop and left the run open today hoping to entice them back in. Its full of food and water just waiting for them. So far 6 have come in, and most of the rest have moved closer to run run into smaller trees. I'm really hoping I can get them all in before dark tonight! I know these predators will return!

Last edited:
After keeping my guineas cooped up for 2 days after the snow I decided to let them out for a coupe hours. Turns out they are terrified of snow and flewup in the trees. When we tried to throw things up there to scare them out, they flew further away into higher trees! They would not come down. They went out into the woods into huge 100+yr old trees. After dark I had no choice but to leave them, which was an awful feeling. I was out this morning before the sun rose to start counting them. Found one on the ground injured but looks like it should heal ok. I cleaned it up. One of my favorite pintos (very pied) is gone and there are coyote tracks all over around the trees. All but that one are accounted for. I know we have tons of predators and I'm just sick for my pinto. I barricaded my chickens in the coop and left the run open today hoping to entice them back in. Its full of food and water just waiting for them. So far 6 have come in, and most of the rest have moved closer to run run into smaller trees. I'm really hoping I can get them all in before dark tonight! I know these predators will return!

I'm so sorry for your trial! Hope you get them in today!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I did put white millet and scratch in the run for them, and a little on the roof and in front of the run door. Two ate what little bit was on the roof, but wouldn't come down to the ground. I'm so frustrated. I really hope they will come in soon. They have to be hungry and thirsty. I know I will lose more tonight if I can't get them. The ones in lower trees I may try to use a ladder and nab them after dark.

Last edited:
This evening turned out as well as possible. I had to leave for several hours today for an event of my daughters, so I really didn't know what to expect. It was a nice day, very sunny and almost 40. I left the run open with the food,water, and scratch in it, and I came home when the sun was setting to find all my guineas in there, except the pinto I suspected was gone for good. My husband followed the coyote tracks and found the site where my lovely pinto was attacked.
hit.gif

I'm very happy to know that all the others will be safe tonight, but I'm very sad about my first predator loss.

RIP pinto guinea. Here is the last picture I got of the two pinto guineas (aka pied) together yesterday when they first came out to see their first snow:

Shayna, I am so very sorry for your loss. You have such beautiful guineas! I'm happy to hear the rest finally decided to come back in and stop worrying you! Again, my condolences on your tragic loss.

Thanks, it was unfortunately one of my best behaved and prettiest guineas. Seems that's the way it goes. I will sleep better knowing the rest of them will be safe, because I have no doubt the coyote(s) will return tonight. I knew losses would happen when I let them out, but I'll never be ready or used to it happening sometimes. I'm bummed, but maybe I'll get some pinto keets out of eggs from the remaining one this spring.
hmm.png
Hoping if my silkies brood them they'll maybe do better about coming in?? I'm also thinking about clipping everyone's wings now.

Shayna, I am so very sorry for your loss. You have such beautiful guineas! I'm happy to hear the rest finally decided to come back in and stop worrying you! Again, my condolences on your tragic loss.

Back
Top Bottom