Well it is decided

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by citychickx6, May 15, 2011.

1. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Hubby and I went shopping for coop materials. By the time we would have gotten everything we needed to build one we could have purchased a 10x10 shed kit. Hubby has been saying for years the 8x8 we have is too small. So I get the 8x8 for the lil gals and he gets a new 10x10.
    Works out well since it is more space for them.
    I am planning to put linoluem down to aid in sanitizing. Windows for ventilation and lighting as well as a few more vents near the top.
    Anyone else use linoleum for the floor?

2. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    [​IMG] I think a lot of people on here use linoleum for the flooring. I could not find a cheap small piece (4x4 coop w/4 girls). I ended up sealling all the cracks with caulk and then primed the floor and finally used a outdoor enamel paint for my floor. Stuff is hard as rock & easy to clean so far. I believe it is mostly personal choice as to what flooring you use. Good luck with your chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    Now your hubby needs more toys to fill the new shed so he will need a 12x12 lol. I called around to local flooring companies and told them I needed a cheap piece of flooring for a chicken coop. 3 of them told me to come in and look at scraps and if I want i can dumpster dive for pieces they have taken up out of homes. So i'll prob try to get some this week and pray for no rain next weekend so I can start my coop.

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I did get some discontinued linoleum from Home Depot. It was a third the cost of the next cheapest.
    I think hubby has all the toys he needs lol. Last year we were putting up a 6 foot chain link fence ( huge yard lots of holes to dig ) rented a post hole digger and bought a mixer. He got a new mower last year also. Three years ago he got a new tiller. HMMMMMM Maybe I am the one needing new toys!!!!

5. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    We used linoleum and it works great!

6. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I used linoleum squares, the 1'x1' dealies, since they were discontinued and very cheap. We haven't had any problems with them getting torn up, cracked, and are easy to clean because we took extra care to lay them down perfectly. 3 years going strong for that flooring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by