Well it looks like we have chickens now

bbtoolpusher

Hatching
Dec 21, 2015
Livingston, La
Hello,
My name is Brandon. I'm a father to 5 kids and now 3 chickens. A friend of mine had these chickens in his backyard in a subdivision. had a very small coop that they stayed in 24 hrs a day. He had no time for them so they were very neglected. He was contemplating just letting them loose but I knew that with all the dogs in his area they'd be dinner within hours of their freedom. So with that said I know have 3 chickens that I know absolutely nothing about. Don't know their breed, age, etc. So far we get one egg a day between the 3. Hoping it's due to the move, but I'm not sure what they were producing before. One bird is bright white, other 2 or kinda off white with light brown spots. Kids love them so looks like they'll be hanging around, so I guess this site is my new friend. Also one of the birds has what i'm thinking is Vent Gleet from what i'm gathering while researching. Looks nasty but the feathers are all there and doesn't look infected yet. Any ideas on a solution??
Thanks and I look forward to many more posts I'm sure

Hello,
My name is Brandon. I'm a father to 5 kids and now 3 chickens. A friend of mine had these chickens in his backyard in a subdivision. had a very small coop that they stayed in 24 hrs a day. He had no time for them so they were very neglected. He was contemplating just letting them loose but I knew that with all the dogs in his area they'd be dinner within hours of their freedom. So with that said I know have 3 chickens that I know absolutely nothing about. Don't know their breed, age, etc. So far we get one egg a day between the 3. Hoping it's due to the move, but I'm not sure what they were producing before. One bird is bright white, other 2 or kinda off white with light brown spots. Kids love them so looks like they'll be hanging around, so I guess this site is my new friend. Also one of the birds has what i'm thinking is Vent Gleet from what i'm gathering while researching. Looks nasty but the feathers are all there and doesn't look infected yet. Any ideas on a solution?? 
Thanks and I look forward to many more posts I'm sure

Welcome to BYC. Glad to hear that you have the birds now. They're much better off in the hands of someone who knows nothing about them but wants to learn than someone who couldn't give two craps about them.

You can try posting pictures of the birds on the "What Breed or Gender is This?" sub forum, the folks there are very knowledgable. From your description best guess based on common breeds is maybe a White Leghorn and some kind of Red Sex Link or Red Hybrid for the other two, but impossible to say for sure without a picture.

Production for 3 birds peak season is 2-3 eggs per day. In cold seasons or if the hens are old, you might expect 1-3 eggs. Of course a bird under stress will produce below it's ability, and certainly 24/7 confinement in a small space followed by a sudden move will count as stress. Factors that affect laying include daylight hours, weather, breed, stress, age, diet, and molt. So, pretty much everything.

For vent gleet, you should clean the bird's fluff. Easiest to do this with a bath, get a plastic tub or large soup pot, fill it with warm water and a dash of dish soap. Dunk the bird's back end in it and swish and massage the effected feathers until they are clean. Rub her with a towel and blow dry her until you see the feathers start puffing back up. Clip the feathers closest to the vent (that's chicken speak for anus) and give her some yogurt and Sav-A-Chick probiotics when you can. You may want to consider worming as well.

Welcome to BYC, Brandon. Glad you decided to join our flock. QueenMisha has given you some good advice. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Glad you joined the flock Brandon, it's nice to meet you. Queen Misha knows a lot about chickens & has given you good advice.

welcome-byc.gif

You've received some good advice and a helpful reference to the Learning Center so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here!

Happy Holidays!

Thanks, for all the help, and the welcoming. Since the post we've purchased 6 Rhode Island Reds chicks. Kids are super excited. Will be posting pics of older hens later this week to attempt to figure out a breed. Thanks, again.

Thanks, for all the help, and the welcoming. Since the post we've purchased 6 Rhode Island Reds chicks. Kids are super excited. Will be posting pics of older hens later this week to attempt to figure out a breed. Thanks, again.

You're welcome. I'll look forward to seeing your pics. :eek:)

Excited to see your pics! Welcome, and I also wanted to say it was really nice of you to rescue those hens who were being neglected.

Back
Top Bottom