Well, it's over. :(

akcskye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
I should have known when I checked on Billy this morning and he had some bad problems with one of his wounds, and breathing a little harder than normal, that things were going to go wrong.

I got home at 4 a.m. to check on him and took care of some issues he had (if you don't have a weak stomach, you can check out my post under chicken emergencies...but please, ONLY if you don't have a weak stomach).

The proper procedures were used, gentle, lukewarm wash (I used my dog bath supplies so everything was kind and gentle to him) on his wound and brought him inside and made sure he was dry and warm before setting him back outside.

I went to sleep at 5:30 a.m. and woke up at 10:30 a.m. and found him still on his perch, head hanging down, eyes closed...definitely dying.

I held his head in my hands and began to pet him, and he opened his eyes and let out this "ker kluck"...and he passed away...right there.

I am just numb and devastated...I'm hoping one of the new hatches is a Roo...so far we have only hens...as we'd like a new Roo to be Billy's son...we LOVED that Rooster and we totally appreciate and admire his efforts to save the flock.

As my husband, a retired soldier said...Billy did the same what he (my husband) would do for our country...so even though it's "just a rooster"...the effort was no less valiant.

Thank you to everyone who listened and offered suggestions, advice, and support.

This chapter in our lives is done...and now we'll move on to happier things...like the 6, going on 7 chicks we now have.
wink.png

Kristi

Last edited:
I am so sorry! Bounce back from the ideal! We do what we can to protect what gives us pleasure! :thun Protect thge reswt of them! I hope you have a Roo too!

hit.gif
Oh Kristi, I'm so sorry. Poor Billy. I think it's wonderful that you were with him when he passed. He certainly was special and you did everything you could for him. Keeping my fingers crossed you get a son to pass along the good genes. :aww

Ellen

I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
What a great roo!

I think people who assume it's "just a chicken" don't really pay much attention to chickens (or animals for that matter). Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

-Meghan

RIP brave Billy - now he's grazing in a huge field eating bugs galore and he's not in any pain. He was a great bird.

So sorry for your loss.
sad.png

What a brave and valiant rooster, to sacrifice himself to protect his girls! I hope you will end up with a roo to carry on his legacy.

Back
Top Bottom