Well, my girls learned the roosting thing pretty quick

pbrian

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
W Simsbury CT
Last weekend I finally finished the coop for my 6 quickly-growing 8-week old Best Reds. We put them in their new home on Sunday after dinner. For the roost, I attached a 2x4 stud across the length of the coop at 36" high. My wife thought there was no way in hell that they could make it up there themselves and wanted to put an over-turned recycling bin in there for them to jump on to get to the roost. I said, nah, they're birds, they'll make it. So an hour or so later I went out to check them and one of them was on the roost and the rest were piled on top of each other in a corner. After chuckling to myself and muttering "silly birds" I placed them on the roost. They were all still on the roost the next 8 times I checked on them (
lol.png
). The next night two of them were on the roost, so I placed the other 4 up there. the next night 4 of them were on the roost and 2 of them were... missing! Uh oh. After a quick scan I realized that two of them had made it up to the top piece of the side wall framing (the walls are 6 feet high). AFter another chuckle and calling the kids out to show them what the silly birds were doing (and a quick, I told you so to my wife), I just left them there. Last night three of them were jammed up on the top of the wall. I just left them there again. But I began to wonder, should I do something to prevent them from doing this?

Hello fellow Nutmegger! I wouldn't worry about them. They'll all get the hang of it an figure out where they are most comfortable. As they get bigger they may find that that side wall spot isn't as comfortable!
wink.png

Thanks Mrsgibbers, just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing... or that not doing anything is the right thing.

Nice coop, btw! I have to put one of those BYC pages together. Once I finish (err, umm I mean start) that run.

Thanks for your question. My silly birds are roosting everywhere but. I finally got tired of moving them around and figure when they get too big to all fit on top of the wall, they will start on the roost. Guess we'll see....

I put a roost in just a little taller than yours and no one got on it! Soo I then did 2 lower levels and made it the "ladder" style and now they will roost on the lowest level................CHICKENS!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom