Well now I know what shrink wrapped means..HELP

LALADY1101

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Lake Charles, LA
I had a silkie pip yesterday. I noticed it a 4:15 am. This morning there was no progress, so as much as I didn't want to, I decided to try to help it out. As I chipped away at the shell, I saw that the membrane was very dry. My humidity ran low throughout incubation, but I kicked it up at hatch time. It still fluctuated but never got below 60% and even then I caught it early and increased humidity again. I chipped quite a bit of the shell away and the baby is breathing and cheeping and trying to stretch, but I saw some blood so I stopped and wrapped it in a very wet, warm paper towel and put it back in the bator. Anybody got any suggestions? I have to go to work in a little while so I'm not gonna be home to monitor progress and intervene anymore. If you check out my signature, you'll notice that I also went back to college. As if I'm not stressed enough, I have a statistics exam today
barnie.gif
he.gif
sickbyc.gif
rant.gif

Last edited:
I just peeled back a little bit more of the membrane. The area that was bleeding at 2:30 am (Yes I have been awake that long because of this!!!) is no longer bleeding. However there is an area on the other side of the shell that bled a little so I stopped again and put her back in the bator. How long can the baby survive? She is about 1/2 way out.......but she seems soooo weak. Please tell me what to do.................

she's the only one that didn't quit and made it to pip stage

Last edited:
It sounds like it has been like 28 hours since she pipped? Usually they pip then rest for anywhere from 12 - 24 hours then zip, so she isn't tardy yet
smile.png
Chicks can even stay in the bator for a couple days after hatch without food & water so she is ok. You'll want to make sure she has plenty of time to absorb her yolk. Once she switches from external/yolk circulation to internal (i.e. no more flowing blood in the veins in the egg) then she'll be ready to make her way completely out (tho you may want to peel her out?).

When this happened to me, I noticed that they'd shrink wrapped and panicked. I peeled them out (2 I think) and they had bulbous appendages where their little umbilical cords should have been. So I think I rushed it. One recovered, one didn't. So the lesson I learned was don't rush it!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Yes, I discovered the pip at 4:15 yesterday morning. When I got up this morning, there has been no progress. The membrane was so dry. Thank you so much! I'm really stressing!! I'm gonna leave her alone and go get dressed for work. I called in late!

Back
Top Bottom