WELL.... That hatch is over...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I set 9 eggs in the hatcher on Saturday, and all were due to hatch yesterday. I've just opened the eggs that hadnt hatched and I lost the majority.

I've got two blues that hatched, but I lost 1 buff, 3 blues, 2 blacks, and a Splash.

So two out of everything hatched. The ones I lost weren't alive at all and i candled before I opened them. Most looked like they had absorbed the yolk, a few of them hadn't yet, and one looked like it died around day 15 or so.

I can only attribute it to my hastiness in putting them in the hatcher. The temp had spiked to 103 once or twice that I KNOW of, and thats before I got the thermostat leveled out properly. I had it tightened too much and the wingnut was holding it down and not letting it function properly.

So on to the next batch, I guess. Lavenders and black/blues this weekend....

2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I love your attitude... onward and upward!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sorry it didn't work out as hoped. My last hatch was too good either, but I am setting eggs again on Sat or Sun. Better luck on the next one for BOTH of us!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] At least you got two and they can keep each other company!
    Sorry for the loss. I'm waiting too, although everything seems to be going well, I'm still living in fear for the egglings.

Good luck on your next hatch. [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Its a loss of sorts, but it doesn't upset me. Its a fact of life and poultry raising. No big deal.

6. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Sorry you lost your little silkies. I hope you have a better hatch this weekend.

7. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    That's a bummer Chris! [​IMG]

8. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Glag your willing to get back on the horse though.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  9. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Sorry! But can't wait to see the ones that made it and the new ones that hatch this weekend!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Luck for the weekend! Spikes suck. It never goes perfect all the time. Go purple chicks for Easter (lavs lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by