Well we did it!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mrs. Feathers, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Processed 6 dual purpose roos today.
    They were a little younger than we hoped but we figured if the crowing was driving us crazy then our very polite neighbours must have been going loopy (their bedroom window faces the direction of our coop).
    For our first time things went really well....loved the set up that Fredster posted and took MUCH advice from this thread...thanks everyone. I was hesitant to participate...was going to be DH and DSIL`s contribution to our chicken project but both DD and myself joined in (although I did not face the actually kill this time). Next time we will be completely involved (kill too) and will run the plucking station. I am sure the process will be even quicker.
    We have not weighed them yet but look to be about 3-4 lbs....(15 and 19 weeks old).
    Our learning for next time....
    -time hatches so that processing is NOT during wasp season...yikes no bites but they were annoying

We have them resting in icewater in the cooler. How long should we leave them in there before moving them to the fridge? or is it okay to leave them overnight in the icewater bath overnight then directly to the freezer.
    Thanks....can`t wait for our BBQ chicken feast with the kids next weekend!

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    you could leave them over night in the water, I put mine straight in the freezer with great results.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    We rested 5 roos in the cooler with salted ice water for 2 days and then dried them at room temp on the 3rd and bagged and froze. the one we did cook was as tender as could be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by