Well, we did it...

KellerTX

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
Keller, Texas
We saw some 4 week old keets at the feed store today. So we picked up 4. Have we lost our minds?
wink.png

We already have chickens.

The guineas look pretty well feathered out. From what I have seen online, they are supposed to be able to go outside around 4 weeks? We are in Texas and the night temps are around 60 right now. They will be in a tractor-style coop with the coop on top and a run on bottom.

I love our guineas! They seem to mature much faster than the chickens. Their antics are hysterical. Whatever you do, don't let them out to free range until they have been in their living quarters for at least 6 weeks. Good Luck with them

The keets went out into their new coop Sunday afternoon. Had to close off the ramp into the bottom section as one of the little ones ended up down there after dark and couldn't seem to find its way back up. I put a 40W light bulb in a shop light, wrapped in chicken wire, in one end of the coop to give them a little extra warmth. It got down into the high 50s last night and they seemed to be gathering closer to the light end for warmth.

A 40 watt bulb out in the coop might not be enough warmth for 4 week old keets, IMO a 60-75 watt bulb would be better for that age, they need a floor temp (measured under the glow of the light) of about 80 degrees, and no drafts. The temp can be lowered 5 degrees each week as they age, but I always offer them more heat than they need when they are in the coop or a large brooder outdoors, so they can find their own comfort zone. They may look feathered, but they really are not fully feathered or able to regulate their own body temperature until they are 6 weeks old (if if they've been fed correctly/raised on high protein feed, and maybe even up to 8 weeks if they have not been fed correctly). If they are noisy and hunched up with their feathers fluffed then they are cold, and cold keets typically don't thrive well at all and just sort of shut down, not eating or drinking enough and will begin to fade within a short time (or just keel over). It's a good idea if they are locked up secure each night, because some keets seem to hatch with a death wish... if there's a way to end their life in the coop, they will find it!

Post some pics if you can!

Thanks for the info. I will up the wattage.

I came home this evening and they were all sitting on the steps of the ladder/ramp into the upper coop. Just chillin.

LOL that's a cute pic of the 2 up top rubber necking down at the other 2 on the ground. I like the door/hole in the floor and ladder idea. I see some future weekend carpentry projects in the works now... lol.

A couple other things keets like are a feed pan (or small litter box pan) full of clean sand and/or finely shredded peat moss or shredded bark to dust bath in (sand is dual purpose, they can use it as a grit source as well), and mirrors. All my keets have to have their mirror time (not just the girls, lol).

The coop is about 6.5 feet long and about 3 feet wide.

I got it from someone else. Added a few more screws, fixed the latch, redid chicken wire on one end, added welded wire on the bottom and added some ventilation. Seems to be working nicely.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom