Well, we let our guard down, and paid the price.

Quote:
Right now, we're thinking we'll either hand-wire something, or wire hardware cloth into the fence with heavy-gauge fencing wire. And we'll countersink it into the ground. If I had diggers, I would probably dig up the whole area and lay in some heavy chicken-wire below ground-level. We did that the last time we built a kennel run, and it worked great to prevent digging.

Our dogs just exploited a weakness that presented itself...when the fencers came through the landscaping there by the house, they cut a little jig out of the bottom of the chain-link, to make it fit over the terraced landscaping. That made a small gap, which, when the water washed the rocks out beneath it, made a perfectly poodle-sized gap!

Quote:
Lay fencing along the ground, then cover it with rocks. I can't bury my fencing because of all the rocks in the soil, but laying it on the ground is working so far.

Well NP, I got home today to find my little dog parading around with a chicken head in his mouth.
sad.png
A juvenile Orp had somehow gotten into the old turkey coop, which has a top and it was killed in there. I have noooo idea how the Orp could have got in there, unless maybe something else pulled it in there from the chicken free range area - a feral cat or something????

Anyway, poodle could get into the turkey coup. I'm not convinced he did the killing, though.

I had *just* gotten the rocks piled along the other end of the fence where the chickens excavate. What a bummer.

Ninja, I just found this thread now, when searching the word "poodle" to find my own thread about a poodle on chicken attack. Mine just happened today, and it wasn't the big-league carnage that you describe, but I'm still pretty upset. How is everything over there, anyway?

very best,

Back
Top Bottom