Welp. first time with meat birds

Pics
These welps are growing like weeds. Ive reduced their feed to 16% layer feed to attempt to slow their growth rate. Maybe not recommended but I'm going to have to start butchering early. They should only be around 6lbs. Even the small ones are bigger than 6lbs.

The extra calcium in layer feed is of **long term** concern for the kidneys of non-laying chickens, particularly roosters, and more so in developing weeks pre-maturity. As your roos are not expecting a long-term relationship with the living (well, maybe THEY are, but you have other plans...),I'd judge it of much lesser concern than your Cornish eating themselves into morbidity by way of liver damage or similar.

NICE weights, btw!

Welp I've been stuck working 12hr midnight shifts since jan 26th with no days off. Likely no days off till maybe the 17th so I bit the bullet this morning after work and butchered 9.
41lbs of meat!
Legs thighs wings & breast. No whole birds to save freezer space.

We ate some leg quarters from the first batch and they have more flavor than grocery store chicken but about the same texture & chew. We are very pleased with them.

I do have one hen that hasn't turned into a basketball so I may try to keep her for some eggs for hatching. Maybe a maran over her.

9 bird carcasses for stock??? I used to brew beer, and I'm not sure my pot is big enough for that. Also needs 2-3# carrot, half the ribs in a stalk of celery, 2 lg onions - halved, and at least a head of garlic, maybe two. A palm of salt, and like 18 cranks of black pepper.

Damn, I'm hungry now! Sorry about the work schedule

9 bird carcasses for stock??? I used to brew beer, and I'm not sure my pot is big enough for that. Also needs 2-3# carrot, half the ribs in a stalk of celery, 2 lg onions - halved, and at least a head of garlic, maybe two. A palm of salt, and like 18 cranks of black pepper.

Damn, I'm hungry now! Sorry about the work schedule
No stock today.. :( this boy is feeling pretty beat down and barely getting done what I have to do. I didn't want to get to the situation of them being in bad health and an all day event. 3hrs ever so often is more manageable how I'm having to work. I have 12 more to do. I'm hoping to space them out over the next week or two.

Welp no update for Thursday week 8. Still working...

They are officially called waddle birds. 12 left to do but they seem to be in good health. Every morning when I bring the feeders they run up flapping and swarm me.

Its a shame they are a terminal breed. Most a personable and walk over like hey its the food guy. No squabbling just the occasional rooster run up face off with another.

Still working like crazy and forget what day it is multiple times a day but went ahead and butchered 5 this morning. Was supposed to be 6 of the 12 remaining.
I put the 6 tanks in a dog crate and in a brooder just temporary as I got everything set up. Are back in the grow out shed and the 3 in the crate had pushed the door open and jumped down..... probably at least 3'! I thought for sure broken legs but nope they are just waddling around like normal. One had already gorged on feed so he lives another day.

5 birds broken down to breast, leg, thigh, wings, & saved the giblets. Almost 30lbs! I still have 7 more to go but two are pullets so they are smaller.
20210211_161521.jpg

Last edited:
Super busy with work so I forgot to update. The last 7 which included two pullets ended up going to freezer camp on week 12. Broken down I ended up with 52.5lbs from those 7 birds. They all still seemed to be relatively healthy. The biggest had started crowing.
20210310_174650.jpg

Crazy big breasts.

28 birds. 152.5lbs of chicken pieces. No whole carcass weights. Average 5.45lbs per bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom