Welp hatchery broiler chicks dying

dukeis84

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2013
Has anyone had issues with broiler chicks from Welp? This is the second year I've had over 35% of my chicks die within a few days of arriving from welp. I have ordered from them for 6 years but lately I've been having problems. Just curious if I'm not alone. Thanks!

What does your brooder look like?
What temperature do you keep them at and what are you feeding them?

Did you do the sugar water in the beginning?

I only had some issues when I started the feed restriction. They would eat so fast that by the time they would try to drink there was no room for it. A couple drowned themselves before I figured it out.
For that I would put the food in just for a minute then take it out for 5 or so. Gives them time to get some water in them.
Others mentioned giving moistened food.

I did Welp last year. Ordered 60, received 68. We lost some in the first few weeks to leg injuries (maybe our setup's fault). Then we lost some more to what looked like heart problems. Only 54 made it to harvest. In general I was not impressed by the genetics I was sent by Welp.

This year I used Myers Poultry Farm, which is an actual hatchery in PA. They come in next month so I don't have anything to report on the quality.

I feed dry grower in the first 3 weeks while they are still using the slide top feeders. When they transition to twice a day feedings I make a slurry out of the food and it definitely takes up some water and prevents the sneezing and coughing while eating. The general rule I follow for feeding at that point is what can they finish in 15 mins as a group.

Meaties are generally fragile but I have learned a lot over the years to prevent early death. It can be frustrating. Maybe get someone you know local to come by and have a look at your setup, another set of eyes might catch something that is causing your problem. I am better at feeding, raising, and nourishment; but hubby is better at setup intuition and bird safety.

I found that putting Broiler Booster, available from Murray McMurray, in the water from start to finish helped a lot with the health issues broilers are heir to. Broiler Booster is a vitamin electrolyte supplement formulated for meat birds. I provided feed for my broilers from seven in the morning until seven at night. I had the feeders and waterers hung on chains so the height could be adjusted as they grew. They had to stand to eat and drink. The feeders were on one side of the pen and the water was on the other so they had to walk a bit to get from one to the other. I never had trouble with them choking and sneezing from eating too fast. As soon as they arrived I gave them warm sugar water. They were fed broiler starter/grower/ finisher when I could get it and turkey starter/grower/finisher when I couldn't. Hope this helps.

I've never raised meat birds before. Damn they are fragile! I ordered 65 from Ideal Hatchery. I got them yesterday and 4 of them have died. One died just now. I have no idea why. It was eating and drinking and fell over dead. All that it ate and drank came out. I have 3 brooders set up for them. Smaller chicks in one then bigger chicks in the others.

Temp is 95 at one end. 80 at the other in each. Plenty of room. Plenty of starter feed. Gave them Gro-gel when I got them home. They gobbled it up. A lot of them have pasty butt, but I've been keeping on top of it and checking them constantly. I put ACV in their water. I think I might add some electrolytes. Maybe it just they can't handle the elevation here -10,000 feet. But I've never had issues with layers. I just don't know... poor chickees

Last edited:
I do know that Murray McMurray does not recommend the Cornish X for high elevations. If I were you, I would contact Welp. I would also stop putting the ACV in the water.

Same thing happen to me, but I bought the Cornish Rooster from Mcmurray, out of 15 I have 3 that survived. I think it had something to do with the brooder light. I have a dimmer switch, next time I will go full blast. They can move away from the heat on their own. I notice they were cuddling tight together under the brooder light which means they were cold.

My strongest most consistent Cornishx have come from Freedom Ranger Hatchery in PA. They are Ross 308 line.

20210409_171831.jpg

Back
Top Bottom