Welp Hatchery?

Luke Berg

In the Brooder
6 Years
I was going to buy my chickens from Welp Hatchery when i get them but i wanted to see what other people say first. Your input please.
hu.gif

I ordered my first birds from them. The first box had all bu 5 die in an ice storm that was no fault of theirs. They replaced the entire box. Of those I still have 18/25 (predators got 5 and 2 had illnesses). That was 3 years ago. I have had more added each year from other hatcheries and none have been as healthy as the ones I got from Welp. So, as far a hatcheries go, I was pleased.

I've ordered from them for the past couple years. Awesome customer service and healthy chicks. I plan to order from them again this year. I don't know about any of the other breeds but the wyandottes I got from them do not look like hatchery wyandottes. They are beautiful!

I am on my second batch with welp. The first batch had a 40 percent loss due to high quality feed resulting in ascites and chf. Not welps fault. Second batch is 1 week old and we lost 6 in the first 48. We were credited the loss and costomer service was great. Since then there has been anothe 7 lost and I have another bird that seems to be a runt on the verge of death. I will likely try another hatchery for the next batch and see if paying more makes a difference, but at almost $2/bird savings over other harcheries, any losses are going to be easier to swallow from welp. It is just frustrating when you watch your flock of 75 meaties dwindle so quickly. We are planning on getting some welsummers soon and I will likely use welp so we can see how the layers do.

I am on my second batch with welp. The first batch had a 40 percent loss due to high quality feed resulting in ascites and chf. Not welps fault. Second batch is 1 week old and we lost 6 in the first 48. We were credited the loss and costomer service was great. Since then there has been anothe 7 lost and I have another bird that seems to be a runt on the verge of death. I will likely try another hatchery for the next batch and see if paying more makes a difference, but at almost $2/bird savings over other harcheries, any losses are going to be easier to swallow from welp. It is just frustrating when you watch your flock of 75 meaties dwindle so quickly. We are planning on getting some welsummers soon and I will likely use welp so we can see how the layers do.

I think Welp hatches their own meaties but their other breeds come from Privett, right?

I've been very happy with my hens from the feed store, who is supplied by Welp. I concur with the above poster that I was very impressed with my Wyandotte--and am thinking about getting some when they arrive at the feed store, despite already having oodles of birds coming already.

I've been planning on ordering broilers from Central if I ever decide to get them--which greatly depends on how much the new processing plant will charge per bird.

Does anyone know the quality of chicks from Welp? I am looking for birds to show at the fair, so I want them to be as close to standard as possible.

I bought my Cornish Rocks first and had no issues with them at all. Didn't lose one. They ended up being as expected, large, and pretty tasty.

After the meat birds, I bought a mix of egg layers. I had 2 EE (they sell them as Ameraucanas, but they aren't.), 1 BR, 2 BS, 2 RS. They are all doing well. The hatchery is only a few hours from my home, but I get mine from Farm King, who uses Welp Hatchery. I don't have to pay the shipping fee this way.

I thought I read that everything but their broilers came from "other suppliers"; I would be interested to know what hatcheries they come from :)

Back
Top Bottom