Welp or Murray Mcmurry

jenna42

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
I am wanting to get some chicks for my county fair, this is my second time rasing but first time getting them of the web. I want to have a nice bunch of bantams, I would love to win some trophies with these bantams. I do not know what Hatchery I want to buy from they both have all the bantum breeds I want, the only difference if that the murray is 20 cents more expencive than the welp.
Please help!!!

I don't have any advice as to which hatchery to get birds from.

However, I do know that if you want to show competitively and win lots of ribbons, you're better off getting chicks from a breeder. Hatcheries focus more on quantity rather than quality, so their chickens often don't fit the standard for their breed and variety. They may be smaller or larger than usual, have the wrong number of toes, have poor tails, or wrong color. Hatchery birds aren't bred for show, and therefore aren't very good for showing, in most cases.

So, it's a better idea to get some from a local breeder. Breeders that raise birds to the standards laid out by the American Poultry Association are the best bet for a person who wants to show chickens. Hatcheries have their place (for laying hens, fun little "backyard bantams", meat birds, etc), but if you want to show, go to a breeder.

Last edited:
However, I do know that if you want to show competitively and win lots of ribbons, you're better off getting chicks from a breeder.

So, it's a better idea to get some from a local breeder. Breeders that raise birds to the standards laid out by the American Poultry Association are the best bet for a person who wants to show chickens. Hatcheries have their place (for laying hens, fun little "backyard bantams", meat birds, etc), but if you want to show, go to a breeder.
X2 on Wyandottes7's advice. I've never ordered from Welp Hatchery but I have ordered from Murray McMurray on a number of occasions and have been happy with their birds and service. However I wouldn't expect to win any show with their birds, although interestingly enough, I had a pair of Mille Fleur D"Uccles (rooster and hen) that I got as chicks from MM that won best in breed at the Hunt Country fair. Who would've thought it? No one was more surprised than I was. :eek:) But that's the only chickens that I ever had from the four hatcheries from which I ordered that ever won anything.

Back
Top Bottom