Welsh Harlequin Ducks!

bydhatch

Chirping
Jul 23, 2016
NC
Hello all!
Seriously looking into WH's! Would love to hear ALL about yours! Stories, characteristics, pros, cons, pics...bring it all!!
Thanks!

I started with 4 WH from Metzer, all hens. One passed earlier this year from unknown causes. They are my first ducks and I adore them. They are friendly with me but not cuddly. I wasn't really looking for cuddly. They are less trusting of other people. They eat from my hand and like to chat when I'm with them. They can be noisy but only when they want something, like breakfast or snacks. They have been really great layers, except when broody.

I'd say the broodiness is the one downside. Mine will be one year on Aug 3rd. All 3 have gone broody at least once and one did it twice. They stop laying which was not a huge deal but they can get really grouchy. I'm considering getting some fertile eggs for them next year as I read they are great mothers.

Here are a couple of pictures from earlier this month. This fall they should get their adult plumage after molt. I'm excited to see how/if they change.

I started with 4 WH from Metzer, all hens. One passed earlier this year from unknown causes. They are my first ducks and I adore them. They are friendly with me but not cuddly. I wasn't really looking for cuddly. They are less trusting of other people. They eat from my hand and like to chat when I'm with them. They can be noisy but only when they want something, like breakfast or snacks. They have been really great layers, except when broody. I'd say the broodiness is the one downside. Mine will be one year on Aug 3rd. All 3 have gone broody at least once and one did it twice. They stop laying which was not a huge deal but they can get really grouchy. I'm considering getting some fertile eggs for them next year as I read they are great mothers. Here are a couple of pictures from earlier this month. This fall they should get their adult plumage after molt. I'm excited to see how/if they change.
Aww, they're beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I was thinking about getting one hen and one drake so the option of ducklings is there. Any suggestions there?

Hi, welcome to BYC!! Welsh Harlequins are awesome! I currently have 4 but I'm planning on getting some more soon :) . They are my favourite breed because not only are they soooo beautiful, but they are also great foragers, layers and pets with tonnes of character. Mine are really friendly and confident and LOVE food, especially treats. I hatched, and raised mine from ducklings and would definitely recommend this- they are so much tamer than my other ducks.

Hi, welcome to BYC!! Welsh Harlequins are awesome! I currently have 4 but I'm planning on getting some more soon :) . They are my favourite breed because not only are they soooo beautiful, but they are also great foragers, layers and pets with tonnes of character. Mine are really friendly and confident and LOVE food, especially treats. I hatched, and raised mine from ducklings and would definitely recommend this- they are so much tamer than my other ducks.

Hi! And thank you!
I'm considering getting mine as day olds for that same bonding experience! Do you keep both hens and drakes?

Normally you want at least 3 hens per drake. My hens mount each other in the water and there is some damage to their feathers. I image a drake would be worse.

Normally you want at least 3 hens per drake. My hens mount each other in the water and there is some damage to their feathers. I image a drake would be worse.

Do you think one hen and one drake would be okay together if they are raised together?
1f62c.png

I have 1 WH. She is 4 years old. She has never gone broody. My other ducks are runners and they only tried out the broody thing their first year and only for a couple of days. Mine stop laying in the winter, but the WH is the first one to start laying again in the spring as the days get longer.
She is much quieter than the runners - not as chatty when they get going, but she is loud when she has something to share. She will eat from my hand. She's a pretty laid back girl.

I have 1 WH. She is 4 years old. She has never gone broody. My other ducks are runners and they only tried out the broody thing their first year and only for a couple of days. Mine stop laying in the winter, but the WH is the first one to start laying again in the spring as the days get longer.
She is much quieter than the runners - not as chatty when they get going, but she is loud when she has something to share. She will eat from my hand. She's a pretty laid back girl.

She sounds like a real sweetie! Thanks for sharing :).

Some drakes are okay with one hen. Some drakes aren't satisfied with 10 hens. You can't really know until they grow up and mating season comes around.

Back
Top Bottom