Welsh Harlequin ducks?

I hope you were able to find the WH. Our girls arrived from Metzer Farms yesterday. Surprisingly, Megan is much darker than Maggie. I wonder if that means anything in terms of adult plumage. Does anyone know? WH are an awesome breed. I do not see us having anything else (at least for this year).
big_smile.png

Also Mom to 2 Mallards, Oliver and Mimic.

Congrats on the new babies! I have two Welshie girls and they went through multiple color changes as they matured. And I have a feeling it will change every time they molt as well. It's pretty subtle, but there is still a lot of variation if you look close. Also one had a much lighter beak at first, but now you'd never be able to tell.

Thanks, Smurfbrew. I appreciate your reply!!! Any pics of yours now? I just love this breed. They are too gorgeous.

Thanks, Smurfbrew. I appreciate your reply!!! Any pics of yours now? I just love this breed. They are too gorgeous.

Here's a few from this fall. I guess I've been slacking lately on pictures! Deliah, who is wearing the straw necklace, was the one with the lighter beak.

Is that blue tub what you use for their pool? How many gallons is it? I am trying to find a larger pool for the 4 of them when the WH grow up.

Thanks Terris! They were only about 4 months old in those pics, so their colors have, of course, changed since. Mostly their heads have started to lighten up now. I need some more current pics!

The tank is a 300 gallon stock tank that my hubby uses as his "swimming pool." He hasn't used it in about two years though so I'm trying to convince him to give it to the ducks. So far no luck, but I'm going to keep working on him.
wink.png
For now the girls just have a standard size kiddie pool.

This thread has been helpful. I was searching to find out size of WH eggs, found what I was looking for! I've 5 WH and 5 KC, someone has just started laying, eggs are smaller than my smallest chicken eggs, so it must be the WH's. I've 4 girls of each breed and one male of each breed. I want to get one of those 'Behlan' (sp?) water troughs also. Right now they have a large kiddie pool.
My flock was hatched on March 1st 2015, I received them on March 3rd from Metzer, all healthy and happy. I wasn't able to spend the time with them when they were ducklings, like I wanted to, so they are kind of skittish, but not bad.
I've decided they are like horses, change something and it freaks them out. When they started laying I put a dish of oyster shell in their coop, they would not go into the coop because, 'something was different'. I had to take it out, usher them in, then put the pan back in.
Thanks all for the great info, hope all is well with everyone.

This thread has been helpful. I was searching to find out size of WH eggs, found what I was looking for! I've 5 WH and 5 KC, someone has just started laying, eggs are smaller than my smallest chicken eggs, so it must be the WH's. I've 4 girls of each breed and one male of each breed. I want to get one of those 'Behlan' (sp?) water troughs also. Right now they have a large kiddie pool.
My flock was hatched on March 1st 2015, I received them on March 3rd from Metzer, all healthy and happy. I wasn't able to spend the time with them when they were ducklings, like I wanted to, so they are kind of skittish, but not bad.
I've decided they are like horses, change something and it freaks them out. When they started laying I put a dish of oyster shell in their coop, they would not go into the coop because, 'something was different'. I had to take it out, usher them in, then put the pan back in.
Thanks all for the great info, hope all is well with everyone.

I'm glad you found help on my thread :D also my kc just started laying yesterday.

I hope you were able to find the WH. Our girls arrived from Metzer Farms yesterday. Surprisingly, Megan is much darker than Maggie. I wonder if that means anything in terms of adult plumage. Does anyone know? WH are an awesome breed. I do not see us having anything else (at least for this year).
big_smile.png

Also Mom to 2 Mallards, Oliver and Mimic.

There are silver and gold Welshies. I believe Metzer sells both.

I have one welsh harlequin and she is an absolute doll baby. I just adore her! She was my dream duck and I was very lucky to find a breeder locally that had show quality ducks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom