Welsh Harlequin

Well my little duck was trying to sit on about 20 eggs, so I took the extras and put them in the bator. She hatched 9 and the bator hatched 2 (it was off one day and the temp dropped to 76 so I'm surprised any made it) I slipped the two from the bator in with her this afternoon after they dried off, and she took them while hissing as me to back off! I think she is a gold phase and has very light coloring, but a daughter from an earlier hatch looks like she will have a lot more color. My drake is the silver phase.

She, and they are beautiful. I'm hoping to be set up for one of my girls to sit eggs for next season.

Best of luck with the growth cycle.

Best,

Liz

well the Welsh really are a dual purpose bird, especially if you do not mind a smaller carcass. The babies grow really fast, I can put two month olds in with my grown chickens because they are big enough. Can't put them with babies because they are too big and run over everyone. when they get excited. And the girls are great layers. This one layed an egg a day fro about 3 months before she showed signs of going broody.

She's very protective too; I can't get near her or the babies, not even with treats

Do you have any ducks yet?
You aren't specific about age and such, but if the little ones are yours, I'll assume adult sharing housing.
If you don't have ducks, be very sure everyone is on board and that you really research, including visiting some folks who have
ducks on a homestead or farm.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ducks, I have two new hen ducklings arriving in two days, but they can really damage
property, just by doing what comes naturally to them.

WH, are beauties, and I love all five of mine, but they are dabblers, which basically means that once they hit about 6 months old
as soon as it looks like it's going to rain or there is going to be dew on the ground, they start to dig it up with thier bills, looking for
yummy grubs, worms, etc.

I love our eggs, I love my time with each and everyone of my ducks and drakes, they are high on personality and calming powers,
but, be prepared for their less than attractive sides.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

liz

Well, I thought I'd share my babies with you guys. I've been told that they don't exactly look much like WHs, which would really break my heart, since that's what I really wanted. I'll still keep them no matter what they are, of course. :) Just hoping you guys might be able to tell. They're still little, only six days, but maybe really experienced Welsh Harlequin people can tell.

(Yes, I know the big dark one in the front is a Mallard.)

love.gif

Hello all! I got these adorable welsh harlequin babies yesterday and was hoping to pick out 2 females and one male. All of the ducklings with the lighter bills had a black stripe down the middle. Any guesses on if they are females? They were born yesterday in the early morning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom