Welsh Harlequin

I've loved reading this thread. I plan to get some Welshies next spring and use the winter to make a good duck home within one of my garden areas. We also have a large meadow and woods for them to roam but only during the day since we have resident foxes and raccoons as well as flying predators.

Here are some more pictures of my flock! Erebus injured his leg or something and was unable to walk, so he's been inside for a few weeks. For the last couple days, he's been outside during the day and I bring him back inside at night. Thoth and Eris keep chasing him and pecking at him, but that's getting less and less with each day.

Eris is my gold phase hen. Look at her pretty colors. :)

Hello! I have 4 Welsh Harlequin females. 2 silver, 2 gold and I LOVE them all!

Here's a little photo bomb of my flock as they've grown over the past 10 weeks :)

Oh, and here's something I made to show the difference between the silver and gold juvenile plumage :)

I just love the difference between the blue and bronze speculums

Awww Hokenkai those pictures are so adorable! I like your cool informational thing for juvenile Welshies. :) I only have one gold phase, Eris.

Here she is:

And Erebus's colors are coming in SOOOO beautifully!

I think I said they were fourteen weeks old before... Well I was wrong. They're thirteen weeks and five days old today. :)

Carousel, one of the best hatcheries to purchase Welshies from is Holderread. To my understanding, they have fabulous show quality birds, in both silver and gold phase.

I hatched all of mine, but one of them came from SQ Holderread stock and the other came from KS Waterfowl who originally got their birds from Holderread.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, if one were to buy from Holderread, but not from their SQ stock, would you still get birds that could be SQ? I know that buying from SQ doesn't always guarantee that all birds will be SQ, so does this work the other way around?

I'm just wondering because money for us is a concern, but I would really like to show my birds in the future.

Good morning to everyone from the waterfowl of Zombified's little farm~

Erebus again, the drake I'm hoping to show in January:

I don't believe so, because the SQ ducklings come from SQ birds and vice versa. It's very difficult to get show quality from parents who do not meet the qualifications for show because they don't carry the traits. If you are wanting to show, you'll want to get the best possible stock to show and breed otherwise you're not really bettering the breed. Handsome boy :)

Edit: That's not to say you CAN'T show because you can show whatever you want! But the likelihood of winning any titles against birds from SQ parents is low. But, ya never know!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom