Welsh Harlequin

Quote:
I've had both. My Saxony were beautiful, and my hen even laid a green egg (not typical). However, being a larger duck, they did eat a lot. I decided to sell them and get the WH. They definitely eat less, lay great, and are still beautiful. Just depends on what you personally want. Both are great.

Peanut, Cookie, Skittles, and Ritz are getting bigger. Skittles and Ritz keep wanting to lay in the food bowl. I finally took the food out and put it in a smaller dish, and then put some pine shavings in the old food dish. Guess where their favorite place to lay is? Oh, as you can see, I was finally able to put them all together.

62892_dsc_0342.jpg

Last edited:
I am so excited...next month I should be getting my order of Saxony and Welsh Harlequin from Holderread's. I've heard all good things about the WH. This thread gave me that "Christmas morning" feeling!!!

I feel like I already may have asked this question, but here goes: what color eggs do Welsh Harlequins lay?? Right now I currently have a par of Saxonies (50 weeks old), 1 Welsh Harlequin (32 weeks old) and 1 Splash Swedish (22 weeks old).

For the last couple months there has been a readily available supply of duck eggs, at least one as day, and they are definitely not Saxony eggs (Saxony hen went into molt recently and is still finishing up). The eggs are a light blue tint, think pale robin's egg blue.. The Welsh Harlequin in question looked VERY male for a while, but the tail never got a curl and quack remained not scratchy sounding. While the Harlequin still has some pretty male (in eclipse) looking markings it still looks like a girl, the bill just a few weeks ago went totally black/dark olive from a splotchy yellow. Do Harlequins do this sometimes, yano, just look poorly marked??

I have no plans to re-home the duck, unless it is a drake.. but even then the Swedish is still sort of young to have been laying for this long. I'm out in NE Oregon, in the mountains, so it's been very cold and just recently have most of the birds started to act like it is spring. So ya, here are some links to some pictures below (way to big to just post on here straight).. I'm sort of hoping these are from the Welsh Harlequin, we have a strict limit on the males we keep.

Egg Picture 1

Egg Picture 2

WH are supposed to lay white, but then so are Saxonies. I had a Sax hen that laid a beautiful green egg for the first year and a half. After I sold her and she started laying again, her new owner reports that she lays white.

While the Harlequin still has some pretty male (in eclipse) looking markings it still looks like a girl

I have one of those. She is my little feral beastie...LOL. Her original name was Oscar (she was hatched in a nest Lexi made in a turned over trash can
big_smile.png
), but when it turned out Oscar was a girl, we changed her name to Abby Cadabby
big_smile.png

34869155329775790113988.jpg

Abby (background) and her hatchsister/halfsister Prairie Dawn​

Last edited:
Quote:
I am also getting a order from Holderreads next month for four Welsh Harlequins and six Saxony ducklings. I was originally going to get four Cayugas but changed them to the Harlequins. I decided to just have two breeds of ducks rather than three. I can't wait!

Quote:
I am also getting a order from Holderreads next month for four Welsh Harlequins and six Saxony ducklings. I was originally going to get four Cayugas but changed them to the Harlequins. I decided to just have two breeds of ducks rather than three. I can't wait!

X3!! I also have an order of Saxony and Welsh Harlequins coming from Holderreads. 8 of each to be exact. That's funny that you mention Cayuga because that was also my third choice. I actually got an email today from Holderreads saying that my ducklings were scheduled to be shipped the week of April 11th!! They also sent a helpful attachment of 12 suggestions once your ducklings arrive. Can't wait!!!

Back
Top Bottom