Welsh Harlequin

I actually have WH from both Holderreads and Metzers. They are all beautiful. However, if you ever wanted to get in to showing your birds then you might run into a problem with Metzers. I only have one duck with correct confirmation that could be shown from that flock. Our drake from Metzer Farms doesn't even compare to our Holderread drake. You could see the difference in quality with them when they were just ducklings. My avatar is my Holderread drake. I feel that my Holderread flock is gorgeous all the way around. Now, my favorite WH duck is from Metzer Farms. She loves to greet us every time we enter the coop. She is talkative, sweet, and calm. Her personality out ranks any of the others.

To me it seemed like our Holderread ducklings were more vibrant when they arrived. I put them in the brooder box, and didn't have to worry about them too much. They came a month later than the Metzer Farms ducks, and there were eleven ducks in the box. I only had a few in with the Metzer ducklings. So, all those factors could have played a part in their well being upon arrival. Just don't order any fowl from Metzers during any holiday. Though their website says that they don't ship during the holidays they do. My first order of ducklings died over the Presidents Day holiday. They replaced them but it was a horrible experience!

Both places have pros and cons, and you have a tough choice to make.
big_smile.png

Next time I order layer ducks I vowed it would be TSQ Welshies from Holderread. I like the ladies I have well enough, and I'll still happily take the last replacement sexed welshy girl Metzer needs to credit me, but the breed is special enough to go all out and cultivate a premium flock.

Next year maybe? all depends on if I buy a farm this year and have to rehome much of my egger bevy to spare them the trip.

I am getting ready to order 8 ducklings from Metzer. A friend who judges a local poultry show recommended them. What do you guys think as to Metzers show quality? I've heard good and bad things....

Okay. Thanks :) I'll post some pics when my ducklings get here.

Does anyone have any ducks laying right now? How well do they lay in the winter?

Mine are turning 5 and 4 months and I suspect my 5 month old is one of my recent new layers. If true that is an entire month + ahead of my khaki campbells.

Most people have been saying for a while that welshies are so laid back things like shorter days don't phase them as much and they lay into the cold weather better. I can't say first hand, I live in Phoenix and we don't have a winter. My ducks are at it like it's May out there.

For those of you who've had both Welsh Harlequins and Khaki Campbells.... are the WHs really that much more mellow and friendly? My only complaint with my Campbells is they are kind of nervous and stand-offish. I fostered a Pekin for a while last year, and really enjoyed his personality.

Thanks for the unbiased opinions, here in the "I Love My Perfect Welsh Harlequins" thread!
lol.png

Bryan

Welshies don't seem to be as anxious as my campbells-- my calmest ducks are a toss up between my golden hybrids and my welsh, they even make my swedish and cayuga look neurotic by comparison.
I also like that welsh are a little bulkier. It's always nice to have a heavy layer duck that can still perform as an acceptable table duck. I look at runners and I can't see them even being worth the effort to pluck!

Back
Top Bottom