Welsh Harlequins from Holderreads: I might sell them (PHOTOS)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fogbubble, Mar 23, 2011.

1. fogbubble

fogbubble Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Western NC
    I have only five ducks left after repeated visits by some unknown predator. Two are pure Welsh Harlequin girls (gold phase), and one is a silver drake. All three came directly from Holderreads and they're two years old. I've also got a pure mallard drake and a mallard/Harlequin drake. I fear that whatever is getting them will eventually take them all. I put them in a secure box at night but they still sometimes disappear in daylight.

For this plus other reasons, I'm thinking of quitting ducks for a while, but I do have to recoup some of my expenses. I see on Holderread's web site that he sells Harlequin adults for a minimum of $25 apiece, plus shipping. I wonder if anyone might be interested in my birds? I don't want to ship them, so it would have to be a pickup situation. I'm about an hour west of Asheville, NC.

I wonder what I should ask for the three pure Harlequins? Let me hear any suggestions, even if you're not interested in them yourself. [​IMG]

I haven't decided for sure to sell them, and I do have someone else that I might offer them too first. In the meantime I'll hear other offers. If you're interested, please let me know.

Oh - and if I do rehome my birds, l'll be giving away the mallard and hybrid for free, but only to a good home - they're not dinner.

They are the gold phase ducks in these photos, plus one silver drake:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I lost my whole flock of 5 mallards in the fall to a mink. I am going through the same process of new ducks or not.

If you keep them penned up at night in something PREDATOR PROOF 100%, you will be fine.

My ducks were in a locked garage, in pens, but the mink got in the back sliding door and the duck pens had wide enough slots between that the mink got them all. I would have never guessed in a million years that this could have happened.

However, now that it has, I will make sure that any pens for the ducks at night will be re-inforced with hardware cloth so that there is NO WAY they can be harmed.

PS Keep you ducks...[​IMG]

3. Borncountry419

Borncountry419 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ugh, Mink are terrible! I had a problem with one this winter, but I got him! [​IMG] And Fogbubble, do what dumb_cluck says. Make it 100% predator proof run for them, and maybe build them a covered run instead of letting them free range(?).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Your ducks are beautiful, I'm sorry you lost some. I wouldn't be able to buy them as I don't live nearby.

5. fogbubble

fogbubble Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Western NC
    I have a very secure duck box and nothing bigger than a bee is getting in there. During the day they're in a very large (about 1.4 acre) fenced lot. Of course the fenced lot isn't all that secure.
    But really, predators aren't the only reason I might be selling, and I need advice on what I could reasonably ask for them.

Thanks![​IMG]

6. Borncountry419

Borncountry419 Chillin' With My Peeps

If the local people havent heard of welsh harlequins or holderread, you probably won't get more than 10-15 each. Then again your area could have a better market than mine. Even if they have heard of holderread, only a serious breeder would pay good money for them. I'd say start out asking maybe 50-60$ for the welsh trio, or ask 60$ for all instead of saying the mallard and mutt are free. That way it'll feel like they're paying less for the welsh. This is mostly speculation, but...

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would set a price for the 3 Harlequins then say with two free and throw in the other 2 I am sorry that you feel you have to give up your ducks. If I was closer I would be interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by