Welsh harlequins...Male? Female? Ugh help!

They both look like boys to me as well. They have the color pattern that the drakes get on the top of their head and near their bill, and there’s a clearly demarcated line across the front of both of their throats. If they’re 8 weeks and no attempts at quacking, only peeping or rasping, that’s further confirmation. They’re both very cute though!
They both quack quite a bit..

These are little drakes. See how their heads are turning green? That's their nuptial plumage, which they'll keep until next summer. Then they'll become more mottled, lose the green heads--until next breeding season. I had four drakes--very nice boys. I've lost three to predators. :barnie The one lonely little guy I have left has taken to palling around with a group of ducklings hatched this spring. Drakes and no ducks make a very friendly & quiet flock, perfect for inhabiting your garden. So much fun!

Really? I never would have thought!
i’ve had 5 boys at once before with no girls, they got along for the most part. four of them were my own and the other was a foster. they did pick on him a little bit (just chase him away or bite him if they got too close to their treats), but they still all cuddled at night. the only reason i didn’t keep him was because we knew from the start he was a foster, and adopting him would’ve meant we couldn’t foster anymore.

my one boy actually protected his brothers, and wouldn’t even let wild ducks get too close.

So, I’m new to ducks, but I also have Welsh harlequins, and I spend A LOT of time looking at pictures of these ducks. I’ve read that the bill is a pretty good giveaway, of course when they are little, but also as they age. Females should have a dark bill, males have a lighter (yellow-ish) bill.
So my off the cuff, take it for what it’s worth guess, is one of each.
Our ducks were sexed by Metzer as female, granted not 100% guarantee that’s the case, but they look more or less like yours. One has a darker head than the other, but the general coloring is similar. But I don’t think their coloring at this age is a give-away. Both of mine have black bills though, but I’m not sure if that will continue to change as that age. They also both are starting to quack.

I’ve added a gratuitous photo of Rhubarb and Custard because ducks 🙂
333069A2-D61C-4E44-949B-5F3B32816873.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom