Welsumer

I can tell you only of one experience with one Welsummer hen from Ideal. She was a doll. Followed us around, let my son carry her anywhere. She was super super sweet. When she was eaten by a coon he cried so much (he isn't one to cry either.) However, all that said, she laid a light brown egg. It did have some speckles on it, but basicaly wasn't much darker than my BR or RIR. I have no clue about how close she matched the standard, but her temperment was outstanding.

I have a few Welsummers that I bought at a few weeks old from a fellow BYC-er, Mothergoose. Here's her website: http://www.freewebs.com/ritterlivestock/

And
here is an egg pics - they are quite dark:

firstWellieeggb.jpg

Mine are not quiet; they are the noisiest ones of the bunch, constantly chattering away. And, they are not all that people friendly, either, but yet not flighty. I've really enjoyed them; they are a beautiful bird.

I've got one that is a loud mouthed gal that just wont stop talking and while the other three does not talk as much. They are all sweet natured and only two of them lay terra cotta eggs and the other two are not old enough to lay or has not laid yet.

Wish you well with vent sexing......I dont rely on that one anymore because I had cockerals that have a well defined markings and the girls got fuzzy markings.............they were not hatchery birds, those were breeder birds!

Back
Top Bottom