Welsumer

mirjam

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Vermont
I heard a few voices saying that the Welsumer stock from the larger hatcheries might not be very good. So, I'm hoping the get your opinions on that topic.

I really would like to add a couple to my flock next spring and would like to start them from hatchlings. I can't afford straight run, as I don't want any additional roosters and don't know anybody who does. With that, I'm afraid, I would have to go with a larger hatchery that can sex the chicks. I would, however only buy any if someone has anything good to say.

Anybody out there with Welsumers from a hatchery? Let me know how your birds turned out, please.

I have 5 from welp hatchery .............. they are very nice birds ........... 21 weeks old they havent started laying yet

5 welsummer , 5 cuckoo maran, 5 GLW,5 SLW ,5 golden comet .................. none have layed yet!!!!! ... ............ all good looking with good personalities !!!!

Because I didn't want to wait another year, I elected to buy my Welsummers this year from three different hatcheries. Actually, now that I think of it, make that four different hatcheries. I have one hen left that I got from a Breeder.

In order to answer your question I would need to know what your goals and objectives are. I can say this, if you are looking to get SQ birds or those that are bred to meet APA SOP's, you do NOT want to buy from a hatchery.

I have had to cull at least 75% of my birds due to DQ's such as stubs and one of my birds even has a yellow and gray right foot. Both are easily visible and easily identifiable as a DQ early.

I am not trying to start a "hatchery bashing post" here so let me just say that hatcheries have their place and serve a purpose. You must understand that hatcheries are in business to make money and quantity will override quality where as few Breeders are in it for the money but rather are in the "business' so-to-speak to preserve and maintain the breed and it's SOP characteristics.

So, if you're just looking for some nice birds that might lay a nice darker brown than usual egg for a backyard flock, a hatchery bird might suit your purposes. On the other hand, if you're looking for good representations of the breed and perhaps want to show your birds, then definitely go with a Breeder.

God Bless,

There is one hatchery that bought out Calicowoods, which most of our Wellies came from a couple generations back, called Estes Hatchery. However they are expensive! More than four dollars for a pullet and limited numbers. They bought out alot of Harry Shaw's stock when he suddenly passed away. I got two pullets descend from Calicowoods and they DO laid dark eggs. I am not sure where Harry Shaw got his Wellies but something tells me its Lowell Barber.

Hope this helps!

it happened !!!!!!!! .................. we got AN EGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....... this evening

5 welsummer , 5 cuckoo maran, 5 GLW,5 SLW ,5 golden comet ........... 21 weeks and 2 days !!!!

but we dont know who laid it ! .......... 8^( ... sorry

Last edited:
From everything I have read and heard all Welsummers in the USA came from Lowell Barber.

Mr. Barber brought some eggs over to the USA while at a show in Germany. Also, he had a friend (whose name escapes keeps escaping me and I need take the time to go find it again) who lived in Canada and Mr. Barber got some of that person's birds.

I would imagine the breed would've stayed in pretty good shape had it stayed in the hands of breeders who could've selectively looked at what was being produced.

God Bless,

Congrats to the first egg Buckhunter!
Tailfeathers: I guess I would like to get close to the breed standard, but then, I neither breed nor show my birds. So, my main objective is friendly disposition, decent rate of lay and nice dark eggs. Do you think the hatcheries can provided that?
And please, if you know of a hatchery that provides "better" Welsumers that sells sexed chicks, please let me know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom