I just weighed the babies, and at 15 days old here is the breakdown:
RIR Ida 2.5 oz
EE#1 Lillith 2.25 oz
EE#2 Fatima 1.9 oz
Welsummer#1 Ophelia 4.5 oz
Welsummer#2 Beatrix 4.75 oz

Yikes!!!!!

Hi Stacey,

When were your pics taken? My chicks look so much bigger! Except for the SLW- she's tiny. Our Welsummer has about as many tail feathers and other feathers as the EE's and the Australorp. BTW, the Australorp stands just like a roo, but she's the friendliest. The Welsummer is friendlier than the EE's, and she's the most curious. If any of them as roos, my kids will be crushed!!!

Alisa, that is so interesting!!

Our Welsummers are much more scaredy-cat than the others, and the EEs are little love-bugs.

The pics are from Saturday, so they're definitely older now. The Wels are catching up to the others in wing/tail development now. But our EEs and RIR are seriously HALF the size of the Welsummers, look at the weights I posted today. It is really weird. I keep worrying about the little EEs, giving them warm mash and stuff..... but they seem perfectly alert and fine (except that Fatima often has clear/watery poop; Olivia claims that our hen Phoebe had the same thing as a chick so I am trying not to worry about THAT!).

I cannot figure out why the Wels are so much bigger! They are all eating the same food, for goodness sakes!

FWIW, our Australorp Olympia was also very roo-like. We were pretty sure she was a he at about 6 weeks old, but of course she's a girl.

I'm not so concerned about the Wels being roos since Vicki and horsewishr posted thier pics, but I am definitely puzzled about the size difference!

Quote:
Ditto with ours. I think Australorps just have a presence. When mine is free-ranging, her tail is curled up and over her back. I call her my scorpion!

Back
Top Bottom