Welsummer crosses

jarcoo0153

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Levelland, Texas
When I ordered my dark egg layers I had ordered a banevelder rooster a welsummer rooster and a maran rooster with their matching hens. After some unexpected mortalities I still have the cuckoo maran hens the welsummer hens barnevelder hens but just a welsummer rooster. So my question is if I hatch out the chicks will the welsummer maran crosses be sex link? And will the chicks from these breed mixes still lay dark eggs? Pics of these crosses would be appreciated if anybody else has hatched any like this.

Your cuckoo hens with the Wellie rooster will make nice black sex link crosses.

As to how dark the offspring will lay, it's hard to predict. Hatchery cuckoo Marans aren't known for having the darkest eggs themselves, so you're at a disadvantage there. My understanding is the Welsummers and the Marans have different genetics for how the egg gets so dark, so they don't always complement each other when you cross them. I'd say you'll get darker than average, but probably not a rich dark brown.

But, only thing to do is try it and see
wink.png

Well I think I'm going to cross my welsummers marans and barnevelders and see what happens. I purchased them to add diversity to my flock and egg production is my main goal with them. My customers like the variety of colors.

If anybody has pictures of these crosses or eggs from these crosses I'd love to see them.

Back
Top Bottom